Oak turning blanks

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
My neighbor cut down a pretty decent sized oak. I started processing it into turning blanks today. I suspect that I will have enough timber from this tree to keep me busy on the lathe months. He has a nice dogwood that he is going to take down over the weekend. I like turning dogwood.

Attachments

• IMG_4710.JPG
    IMG_4710.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 60

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like an “How I Made a …” opportunity for a contribution to the Resources forum, please.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Red oak or white? Only reason I ask is that red oak bowls need more finishing work. Gotta seal it up so it doesn't leak, you know.

Roy G

iclark

Ivan
User
After a tornado came through our town, I got some nice pieces of an oak tree that came down. I left one slab ~14" thick and ~20"x30" oval as an outdoor bench that held up for year (with lots of cracks from drying". I cut some of it into ~12" cubes and sealed them for when I got some time at the lathe. Within 6 months, every one of those cubes had so many voids opened up that they were not safe to turn. I don't know how much of that was from drying stress and how much was residual stress from when the tornado took the tree down. I just know that I wished that I had gotten to those blanks before they went bad.
I look forward to seeing what you make from that oak.
If you want a challenge for some of the branches in the pic, you might try turning some 3-sided chisel handles.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors