Nyle Kiln build completed!

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I just finished my first load out of my Nyle L53 powered kiln yesterday. I started building the Kiln in September and didn't get it finished until the end of February. There are an unbelievable amount of details involved with building a kiln and setting it up correctly. I still have a few tweaks that I want to do after what I learned drying my first load. It is 13' deep x 8' wide and 7' tall. I can dry up to 12' long lumber. It will handle 1000 bf of hardwood and 500 bf of softwood.

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Inside1.jpg
    Inside1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 139
  • inside2.jpg
    inside2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 136

llucas

luke
Senior User
That looks great! Quite the setup.
Is your plan to air dry first then finish with the kiln, or go early into the kiln?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Looks great, can you use it for a sauna between jobs?😂
It could definitely serve as a sauna. I had to go in there when it was 120 degrees to change out a couple of bulbs in my halogen lights. About 10 minutes is as long as you want to stay in there at a time. I took my shirt off after about 5 minutes. :)

That looks great! Quite the setup.
Is your plan to air dry first then finish with the kiln, or go early into the kiln?
I am going to air dry to below 30% before going into the kiln, ideally under 20%. From all my research, once you get below the fiber saturation point by air drying, the risks of damaging the wood in the kiln is greatly reduced. You still have to air dry properly, but I have good experience at that. My first load was all air dried to below 15%. It took 2 weeks to get it down to an average of 7%.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS