Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I needed some new marking tools...

7128e93a86f43b95969e7fa086d51655.jpg

f6e5526440ab97a65aebec0b3135bd46.jpg

Both work great and were fun to make. Now that I have a working models I can start to get more fancy.

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
Looks like it could be used to mark a center line on a board. Reverse the pencil for a thinner one. I think I need on of them also.
Thanks for the idea

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow Very Nice. Now I have never used either of those. I guess I need to learn more about woodworking. Umm any advice anyone on what to use those tools for, I know the second one says it's to find center, but isn't that what a tpae messure is for? Please enlighten me.

-----Matthew-----
Custom Home Audio

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
The first doo-hickey is a marking gauge. You use it to lay out mortises. You can lay them out centered in the stock or offset.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
The first is a gauge to mark the wood. I used a sharpened brass nail for the pin. You can adjust the gauge to around 6" from the edge of the wood. Slide along the fence and you have a scrib line.

The second is a center finding gauge. Basicly, you straddle the brass pins over a board, and turn it until they contact the edges of the work piece. Use the pencil to mark a center line. This is good for odd shaped and curved wood. No tape required. :icon_thum

T

toolferone

but isn't that what a tpae messure is for? Please enlighten me.

-----Matthew-----
Custom Home Audio

Tape measures are horrid things! Anytime you can measure without a tape you are better off. With these gauges there is no guess work. The center finder is a real time saver. I useit in straight wood too.

Nice going Chris!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work on both counts. :icon_thum

I recently made a cutting gauge but am too embarassed to post pics. Yours looks pretty cool to me.

Chuck

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work Chris! :icon_thum I've never used either of those and wasn't really sure what they were, but now I have a better understanding of what they are and they're uses. Thanks!

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Thanks for the love guys! I am thinking about making a "hand-made tools set" to sell/give to my customers (emblazened with "Project Woodworks" of course). :icon_scra

Any ideas?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks for the love guys! I am thinking about making a "hand-made tools set" to sell/give to my customers (emblazened with "Project Woodworks" of course). :icon_scra

Any ideas?

No ideas here, but I sure will take a set of what you have just made. Of course I will show it off to everyone I meet. How much do you charge for those two items? :eusa_pray :new_birth :eusa_pray

Thank you,

-----Matthew-----
Custom Home Audio

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
No ideas here, but I sure will take a set of what you have just made. Of course I will show it off to everyone I meet. How much do you charge for those two items? :eusa_pray :new_birth :eusa_pray

Thank you,

-----Matthew-----
Custom Home Audio

Ya know, I was thinking about a tool-gift-box thing that would have:
Chamfering Plane;
Marking guage;
Center finder thing;
Winding sticks;
All inside a custom made box.

Each tool would have the persons name burned on it, with other graphics too. Vine work, or barbed wire on it, depending on the order.

Price around 200 clams.

Not sure though...:icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors