New Desk

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Kid needed as desk, She does art and needed to be a bit robust, so I made one. All material was from the bone yard.

Nothing earth shattering, pretty basic but it was fun to make.

I made it 45" x 21" give or take. I sketched up a basic plan and started. The build consisted of the desk base as 2 cabinet cores made of 3/4 plywood I had. the drawers are 1/2" ply with 1/4" for the drawer bottoms and for the cabinet section backing.

The top - from the center out is Black Walnut, then Oak on each side, then Paduk, (pretty old as it no longer is bright red), then Koa, actually a spalted Koa. Koa if stored improperly or possibly, if the tree was damaged, gets this kind of mold that grows in it. It pales the wood and tends to lose some of the dark characteristics most people associate Koa with. Thus the look this wood has.

The door faces were a project that got glued up wrong, so repurposed as door fronts. It is Paduk, then African Teak and Maple stained.
I messed up the stain (came out way too brown) and ended up having to add red and golden yellow + some burnt sienna to the lacquer to help get the drawers tinted to blend better with the top.

The bottom leg runners are Mahogany........ the cabinet core is hammered black enamel. Finally, all was lacquered with amber lacquer as a top coat. Basic satin nickel knobs. Total cost on this was less than 100 bucks (had to buy the knobs, paint and some screws)- everything else was remnants or leftovers.

Made mistakes on it, always do when I do not make a real plan and just wing it, but it still came out pretty cool. 16 or so hours of total work over 2 weekends. Hope y'all like it.

Attachments

• Desk (1).jpg
    Desk (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 127
  • Desk (2).jpg
    Desk (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 117
  • Desk (5).jpg
    Desk (5).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
  • Desk (6).jpg
    Desk (6).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • Desk (7).jpg
    Desk (7).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 127

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
It looks..robust!

Consider writing a full How-to for the Resource forum, please.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah, I could do that. Especially after tomorrow, I am having surgery. so, I'll have some time. I wish I had done some progress photos now.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Best wishes for your repairs/replacements or preventive maintenance. Get well soon!

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS