need grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Your best bet would be either a turf type Fescue seed or if the shade is really dense a Creeping Red Fescue seed could work. The CRF turf is very fine and not very tolerant to foot traffic.
I generally tell my clients if an area isn't ideal for growing turf don't even try. It's hard enough to grow turf around these parts in ideal conditions.
Is it an area that will receive a lot of foot traffic, or are you just wanting to cover the ground with something?

Dave:)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Your best bet would be either a turf type Fescue seed or if the shade is really dense a Creeping Red Fescue seed could work. The CRF turf is very fine and not very tolerant to foot traffic.
I generally tell my clients if an area isn't ideal for growing turf don't even try. It's hard enough to grow turf around these parts in ideal conditions.
Is it an area that will receive a lot of foot traffic, or are you just wanting to cover the ground with something?

Dave:)

Not much foot traffic at all except for my buddy watering the lawn a few times a day after it's established.

Thanks

tommyt654

New User
tommyt654
If this is not going to be a highly traffic area I would suggest a groundcover of some sort. Vinca Major/Lirope/Pachysandra are all evergreen and tolerate shade well,plus low maintenance as well. No mowing. I would avoid English ivy as it is a tree climber.The CR fescue as well as KY 31 and other fescue blends do well in shade as long as it is not to moist. I would contact my local extension service for their recommendations as climates vary. Hope this helps, Tommyt654

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Red fescue is advertized for this application. You might want to check your soil Ph (acidity).

Jeff

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Be very careful if you go with a "shade blend". I am not positive it is the source of some Bermuda in my lawn, but I think it is. It claimed to be fescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS