Need a Longer Thickness Caliper

Flute Maker

Mike
User

I love these calipers from Lee Valley but I sometimes need them to be longer. Anyone have a good idea how to make something like them longer? I make flutes and I bore the long hole for the flute sound chamber.Occasionally one will drift a little and if I know this I can allow more wood to be left there when finish turning it...just maybe not turning the flute as thin. Anyhow any ideas would be appreciated . I have the longer set.
Thickness Calipers - Lee Valley Tools

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Do you know a blacksmith or a metal smith? Maybe they could take the parts from an existing caliper and replace the legs. You probably don't need the huge bend in the one leg, do you? You could make something out aluminum with hand tools, too.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have you considered cutting each leg at the apex of the arch and brazing in a piece of bar stock?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Have you considered cutting each leg at the apex of the arch and brazing in a piece of bar stock?
I had thought of that...For one I havent ever brazed anything...I now I could learn..I welded some years ago..And I would like tok leave this set like they are...So still thinking !!! Thanks though!!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I think David Ellsworth used to bend wire so he could get any depth needed. Put a little bend on the ends and space the ends however far apart you want and run the inner one up the turning, holding it against the inside wall. The gap shown on the outside between the wire and the turning would indicate if the wall thickness was uniform.

Roy G

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I think David Ellsworth used to bend wire so he could get any depth needed. Put a little bend on the ends and space the ends however far apart you want and run the inner one up the turning, holding it against the inside wall. The gap shown on the outside between the wire and the turning would indicate if the wall thickness was uniform.

Roy G
Ive heard or read of that but how in the world do you get them to stay set or hold to the measurement.I never understood that.Someone please help me with this one. I would be measuring maybe 20" inside of a 3/4" -1" tube.

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Ive heard or read of that but how in the world do you get them to stay set or hold to the measurement.I never understood that.Someone please help me with this one. I would be measuring maybe 20" inside of a 3/4" -1" tube.
It works. Grab a piece of coat hanger wire and try it for yourself. Bend it in a long "U" with a further tight bend at the tips of the ends. The wire is stiff enough to hold its shape once bent.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors