Motor turns on then off

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Hi guys, I just posted this over at the ClearVue forum but I thought I'd ask here too!

I've been running my ducting around the shop and finally got to the point where I could turn on the cyclone and test it out on the table saw. Well, the motor cranks up, then slows down, then back up, then back down until I shut it off. I'm not sure what's wrong. I've doubled and triple checked my wiring and I'm 99% sure that I have it correct. I'm using a 30A breaker with the relay and remote from ClearVue.

Please Help!!!!!

Thanks,

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Geoff, do you have a 'run' capacitor on your machine??? sounds like the start capacitor is doing its job, then the secondary capacitor (run cap - handles when the motor encounters a big load) is firing. the motor slows down as the cap is charging, slowing down may trigger a load sensor, then the cap fires - hence the increase in speed..... If you have the motor contacts wired correctly, I suspect you may not have the outlet wired right???

I am basically talking out my third point of contact, so you may actually want professional advice, to, but that is something to consider.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I'm not sure if I have a run capacitor or not...I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure I have the outlet wired correctly too but I'll check it tomorrow.

I do have a dumb question though...Is there a difference between L1 and L2?

M

McRabbet

There are two capacitors on the side of the Leeson and they are pre-wired (it is conceivable that one of them is bad). I am using crimp-on terminal lugs on my 230 V contactor to insure good connections. Be sure to recheck that you did the L1 and L2 connections per the description on page 20 of the ClearVue Assembly Instructions -- on mine, P3 & T1 and T5 came tied together with a wire nut on them. L1 connects to P1. L2 connects to T4 & T8. Be sure to use the correct sized wire nuts (I am using G-B #86 Large Red "WingGard" nuts) and pre-twist the stranded wires clockwise before adding the wire nuts. And be sure that your bare wire coming in -- the Neutral -- has a good connection to the green screw inside the motor connection box (scrape away any paint and be sure it is tight). L1 and L2 are each 115 Volts but are the opposite sides of the 230 Volt incoming power from your breaker panel. If you are confused, read Note 1 at the top of page 20. If still confused, read Note 2 and/or 3.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
It does sound as if it could be a wiring error as McRabbet posted in his note. In trouble shooting the problem, I would also disconnect the DC from the remote and plug directly into the wall outlet just to make sure the relay is not causing a problem.

Bob

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I've double checked all the connections...except the ground. I didn't think about that one. Thanks McRabbet. I took the relay out of the equation tonight by plugging the motor into the outlet. The motor still did the same thing so it's not the relay. Ed emailed me and said if the connections are good, then take it to a Lesson service center. I never checked the ground, but since I just dismantled the cyclone tonight to get to the motor to the service center, I'm just going to bring it there tomorrow. If it all checks out, I'll check the ground and other connections and see what happens.
progress.gif

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If not the capacitors, then maybe the centrifugal switch, bad contacts?- the start capacitors work but when it gets up to RPM the switch doesn't cut in the run capacitor?

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
It works! I took it to a motor repair shop that was on the Lesson website. Great place! They tested the motor and it worked perfectly there...so what was wrong? The motor wiring was good, the outlet was good, the relay was good, the plug that plugged into the outlet???? bad. I mis-wired it...I followed the directions green to ground, black wire to X and white wire to W. oops, white was really supposed to go to Y since it's my other hot wire...:BangHead: I fixed that, re-hung the cyclone and cranked it up and it works. My wife even hung out in the shop and watched it suck the dust from my tablesaw!

Thanks again, this site rocks.:gar-Bi

M

McRabbet

I followed the directions green to ground, black wire to X and white wire to W. oops, white was really supposed to go to Y since it's my other hot wire...:BangHead:
:eusa_clap And thus proving that honking big motors that are meant to run on 230 Volts don't do so well on 115! Glad you got it sorted out and the CV is up and running -:hello2:-:blob7:-:3some:

Out of courtesy, you might want to drop Ed Morgano an email to let him know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS