Mortise and Tenon Joinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well during the Dovetail classes, several students asked about M/T joinery. I told them I do it entirely by hand sometimes and I use machines and hand tools on other occasions. I would say I use the power and hand combination the most. Its enjoyable and it moves along well

When students come by and want to learn a little about M/T joinery, I try to show them how I do it and some other options to consider.

To make it more fun in a one on one setting, we make a saw horse together and the student gets to take home what I consider a must have tool for those of us in small shops. Additionally, they make great horses to hold blankets in the house and other chores(like Thanksgiving Day serving table supports). They are super light but they are super strong. I can tell you I just had a heavy workbench top sitting on the horses and I climbed up on it to fix a smoke alarm. Pretty strong.

Some photos of the project and joinery.

1-horses_build_009-001.JPG

Stretcher with full mortise chopped out to 3/8 wide. There is a shoulder around the entire tenon for additional strength
1-horses_build_003.JPG

Stub
tenons set in the shallow 1 1/2" mortise.
1-horses_build_012.JPG

Leg
set in the foot and pinned. Stretcher with locking wedge.
1-horses_build_016.JPG

Interlocking saddle joints to prevent spreading at the top.
1-horses_build_018.JPG

The lower cross member makes a nice portable shelf when using the horses as a table.

One of the really nice features about this set of horses is the height of the tops. They are fairly tall and that makes them ideal for positioning near the workbench and keeping tools and small things off the work surface when you want to avoid clutter. I have become so accustomed to having them nearby, I get frustrated when my workbench gets covered with project parts and tools. This does help immensely.

If you would like to just jump in and build a couple of these you won't regret it. Mortise and Tenon... maybe a class some time down the road.

later

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Can you supply a few rough measurments, I think i need a couple of these. I'll make the height the same as my table saw to double as outfeed.

Looks like common 1x4 material, about 2 feet for each of the feet and same for the stretcher?

Would 16 feet do one horse? or 4 8-foot pieces for the pair?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
That would make a great workshop. Everybody would go home with a pair

Dan, As always my shop is available

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Can you supply a few rough measurments, I think i need a couple of these. I'll make the height the same as my table saw to double as outfeed.

Looks like common 1x4 material, about 2 feet for each of the feet and same for the stretcher?

Would 16 feet do one horse? or 4 8-foot pieces for the pair?

Hey Mike
The wood I used for this project was yellow pine from trim boards. The idea for me was to keep it light and strong. Yellow pine or some mix of hardwood could work.

Material was 3/4 stuff for all but the feet. Heavier feet so the legs had a shoulder to sit on the leg mortise.

The top cross beam on mine is 29" across with 3" over hang on each side as I recall. The height is up to you.

Just a thought: Don't make the top cross beam to the tablesaw height exactly. I would recommend an adjustable piece on both horses to slip up and down for exact height on your tablesaw. In my case, I have found putting 2 horses in line with the out-feed and a piece of slick ply on the two horses made a nice out-feed table that I could take down.

After building several different sizes, I am happiest with the light versions that I can hang on a hook on the wall or ceiling and not give up floor space. If I made them too heavy it becomes a drag moving them around. Just me.

Here are some sites to see a couple variations of these "Krenov Shop Horses" to help with your design.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://lumberjocks.com/projects/43566[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://lumberjocks.com/projects/65878 heavy horse[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/11/01/smart-sawhorses[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://easywoodworking-tolerba.blogspot.com/2010/05/krenov-sawhorse.html[/FONT]

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're spot on with a pair of these saw horses. I made mine about 8 years ago using 3/4" red oak from Lowe's and following the FWW article by Anissa Kapsalas (#109). They're not heavy, but they are sturdy and the dimensions are easily customized by the user.

The FWW article has some good pics showing the shop versatility of these simple gadgets!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Bill well done. I'm surprised to find a FWW article on line on how to do something without signing up for some promotional deal. The info is all there as far as I can tell for some wood worker needing some surface help.

I think I decided to make some of these back when I saw them in James Krenov's books. When he first started writing, he was working out of his small workshop in his house in Sweden. Not much space. Well things changed for JK after he wrote his books and the rest is history.

The saw horses are a great addition to any shop and modifying them for your needs is easy.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors