Mission Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelM

New User
Joel
Dscf0214.jpg

After only a year and a half, it's finally done. So much sanding. Forty four spindles with spacers both top and bottom, plus a whole lot of other parts that aren't seen.
Arts and craft stuff was designed a long time ago when people were smaller and probably sat up straighter, so there are a few changes that I wish I had made. I should have added more depth front to back. I tilted the seat in the front by 3/4", but it could probably be more.
The plans specified quartersawn but I just used the plain sawn stuff from Lowe's. I never really liked quartersawn because of the flakey grain. As a child I was frightened by a roll top desk.
No more need for a side table. Suds on the right, pizza on the left, life is good.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapGood job!!! What kind of finish did you use?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very nicely done. It is very pleasing to the eye and really looks comfortable.:gar-Bi:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

JoelM

New User
Joel
Forgot to mention that the wood is plain sawn red oak. It's a lot easier to work with than I thought. The finish is Minwax wipe on poly over Minwax golden oak wood finish. I think I've become a convert to the wipe on poly.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking chair! To show it off in detail, here's the link to the full-size picture

Looks very comfortable to me. Plus, sitting up straighter is not a bad thing to do :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful chair, but Man that must have cost you a pretty penny. Oak stock from Lowe's is about $6.35 a BF :swoon::swoon::swoon: Compared to $2.40-3.85 a BF at a place like the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS