Looking for 8/4 poplar or cottonwood for axe targets

eyekode

New User
Salem
I live in the raleigh/apex area and am looking for a source for cheap poplar or cottonwood. It is for throwing axe targets so inexpensive is the name of the game.
Thanks!

Last edited:

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I was in the Klingspors Cary store recently and they now have a lot of 8/4 cutoffs for sale. They are quite reasonably priced. Most seem to be ambrosia maple but they are other wood types.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Check facebook marketplace, in my area I often see pretty good deals on freshcut lumber as well as offers to cut to size. Sounds like you dont need fully dried wood for targets.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I ended up grabbing some whitewood 2x8's from the local lumber yard (not a lowes or HD) when I built our targets. SYP was too hard.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Are you looking for cut-offs (ends of boards/slabs), or "rounds" (trunk cross sections). If so, might want to contact some of the tree trimming, land clearing companies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I ended up grabbing some whitewood 2x8's from the local lumber yard (not a lowes or HD) when I built our targets. SYP was too hard.
I’m currently doing exactly the same. The frame is pressure treated and the backing is syp. The actual target is white wood from hd. It just doesn’t last long! I wanted to try poplar as an alternative.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Are you looking for cut-offs (ends of boards/slabs), or "rounds" (trunk cross sections). If so, might want to contact some of the tree trimming, land clearing companies.
Standard targets are constructed from five 4’ 2x10s. But I have heard if you can get true 2” boards you can flip them to double the target life. I do this currently with 2x dimensional lumber but after the first side the second side is not so great.
D88819EB-2D73-4E99-BAE0-13AFCE4E29FC.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS