Long 2x

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
An SPF board 2x20x20? probably would be somewhat less straight.

60EABF19-17B5-4DBD-AD00-A4CB76E8B027.jpeg

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Those were what I used for my garage door opening 16” tall and 1.75” thick. Seemed like overkill, but it’s what the table specified and I can’t stand saggy door openings!

waitup

New User
Matt
We've got an open floorplan that I designed myself. Ended up having to put a few thousand pounds of steel in the place. Much like Martin, I'm glad I didn't have to lift them.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
These are pretty common to span a large load-bearing opening between say a living room and and adjacent open kitchen as well. I used (3)-1.3/4x16x20' LVL when I designed/ built my house if I recall. we used opposing hoists to get them in place - definitely beefy!

awldune

Sam
User
I've done this before and it is not too fun. Ideally 3-4 guys on ladders if no crane is available.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting. When we built the Lindal Cedar house years ago, I managed to lift a 6"X12"X14' glu-lam beam, single handedly, using 2"X4" levers and cribbing, one 4"X4" at a time to an 8'+ height. Forty years later, I wouldn't think about doing that.

Moderators may want to delete this as a post of relative stupidity. It did seem safe to do at the time.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
When you get older, stupidity is more focused in your rear view mirror. It keeps it from happening again - sometimes.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This man is probably on his 50s and he moves piles of 4x10 OSB and also takes them up stairs. One sheet at a time like this.
2BD63204-8ED2-4F6D-9898-3D68B8BE6499.jpeg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's the way I do it at 70. Got to work smarter, not harder. Been carrying solid core doors that way for a loooong time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors