Lighthouse Build Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Mike,
A couple years back I was going through a Habitat ReStore and saw these 5' wooden columns that were round, tapered and hollow. I was looking at them wondering what I could do with them, so for 10 bucks for the pair I grabbed them. A couple weeks later my wife wanted a lighthouse for the yard, these things were perfect for the main body, I just cut a foot from the bottom and top then added bases and the top pieces. I wish I had a photo to share, but I'm really bad at that.

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
Dave I may take you up on that.(My tablesaw is one of the Delta combination drill press,jointer and tablesaw.The saw does work I just havent used it since I brought it home.Blade probably needs changing.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Mike,
A couple years back I was going through a Habitat ReStore and saw these 5' wooden columns that were round, tapered and hollow. I was looking at them wondering what I could do with them, so for 10 bucks for the pair I grabbed them. A couple weeks later my wife wanted a lighthouse for the yard, these things were perfect for the main body, I just cut a foot from the bottom and top then added bases and the top pieces. I wish I had a photo to share, but I'm really bad at that.

Wow! That’s a great idea.

Ironically, our local Habitat also has had some of those columns but never knew how to use them.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
BC62FB52-DA8A-463B-8256-61FEF5031127.jpegThe Winfield collection has the plans for under $10. I tried to post the picture. Site Problems.

I got the picture to post. There are 10 different lighthouse plans plus the the hardware for the light.

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Going to need a bigger lathe!!
Don't use a lathe. Instead, build a box with an open top, the top side of which is tapered to match light house body, and large enough for body to go in. Build up column, eight sided as mentioned. Insert, or build plug in each end. Find the center as for turning on lathe. Drill a hole in each end, the size needed to thread a hanger bolt in.Thread a hanger bolt into previously drilled holes. On your box, drill hole large enough for hanger bolts to turn freely. Holes need to be same height from bottom of the box. Assemble box, with body supported between the ends of box by hanger bolts. Add a crank handle to one end. This could be a pair of jamb nuts. With a socket attached to a drill, use drill to turn glued up body. On tapered side of box, use a router with a straight cutting bit to round up body as drill rotates it. The router base will need an alignment block on bottom that fits between sides of box, to keep router centered. Turn drill on slow speed, and route column round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS