Latest project WIP pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Working on an aquarium stand, for our new aquarium. Currently have a rusting iron stand that does not hide cords.

Got to use my new tenon jig and the mortiser. I still have some tweaking to do, but think I have the basic operation down. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Side Panel Glue up 01.jpg
    Side Panel Glue up 01.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Side Panel glue up 04.jpg
    Side Panel glue up 04.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 130

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looking good so far. Fill us in on your materials, methods and design. Aquarium stands are always tricky due to the large amount of weight they must carry (8#+ per gal. and gravel) and the incredible mess they can make if they fail 8-O 8-O 8-O

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks like a 2x frame so far. What size you got? I used to have 3 and built a cabinet to house them all. A 70 gallon on top and 29 and 10 below. Made the floor sag:-( .

I'm guessing maple frame walnut panels?

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I know, that has been in the back of my mind from the onset of this project. I guess I did forget the details.

Material is red oak and red oak ply. Design is primarilt A&C, with inspiration primarily from Alan's shop cabinets and a book I recently bought at WC from Taunton press called In The Craftsman style.

The overall size will be about 14"DX29"HX24"W. Jointery on the side panels is mortise and tenon, and will include 1 or maybe 2 (I haven't decided) shelves. Finish will be polyurethane.

Thanks
Dave

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
It's a 10 g tank. I don't think I would want much bigger (maybe when I get a bigger house). Frame is 2X red oak with red oak ply panels. Doors on the cabinet will be the same when I get that far.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Re: Latest project WIP pics - Update

Some more time in the shop and have made a little more progress on this. Bottom, shelf, and top panels have been cut to size and edging glued on. I also added some faux tenon pegs on the side panels.

More pics are in my gallery.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Bottom_03.jpg
    Bottom_03.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Side_Panel_01.jpg
    Side_Panel_01.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor