Laser Engraving Needs in the Piedmont triad area

JayMan72

Jay
User
Hey Team,

I have a project I am working on for a client. It's a simple Noodle Board. She has requested I get a design laser engraved on the board portion. I don't have access to a Laser personally so I was hoping someone in the Triad area does that would be willing to do it for me. Not asking for a "freebee" I am more than willing to pay for your time and knowledge.

The board that will get the engraving is made from cottonwood, we think. (we aren't 100% sure that's what it is because it was taken from a big beam that was used for dunnage) The area for the design will be inside a 20x12 rectangle. I have the design available as an SVG file but can also supply PNG or JPG depending on what you need. I have attached an image of the requested design.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• NoodleBoardDesign.jpg
    NoodleBoardDesign.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 55

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I have 3 different power lasers. Depending on the dimensions of your material (L x W X D). I am pretty sure one of my machines can handle it.
I am in the Hillsborough area if that is close enough.

JayMan72

Jay
User
I have 3 different power lasers. Depending on the dimensions of your material (L x W X D). I am pretty sure one of my machines can handle it.
I am in the Hillsborough area if that is close enough.
Ken, you are about an hour from me. The design is about 20x12 (A little smaller but close enough to give you an idea) The material is about 5/8 thick.

How long would this take to do? Is it something I could bring out and take back same day or would I have to leave it with you?

Thanks for the reply.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Ken, you are about an hour from me. The design is about 20x12 (A little smaller but close enough to give you an idea) The material is about 5/8 thick.

How long would this take to do? Is it something I could bring out and take back same day or would I have to leave it with you?

Thanks for the reply.
I think he asked about the dimensions of the material. Not the dimensions of the design.

Have to have a platform that is capable of holding the size of material involved before the size of the design becomes an issue with laser engravers.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Correct about material size. It needs to fit inside my laser. My smallest is 11x19 and largest is 24x40. All can handle 5/8" material.
As for how long - depends on which machine and whether you want engrave/scan or simple line cutting.
Either way - since you don't know the type/hardness of the material. I would suggest a cut-off of the same wood be tested first.
Laser speed and power are based on type of material and how deep you want to cut.

JayMan72

Jay
User
Correct about material size. It needs to fit inside my laser. My smallest is 11x19 and largest is 24x40. All can handle 5/8" material.
As for how long - depends on which machine and whether you want engrave/scan or simple line cutting.
Either way - since you don't know the type/hardness of the material. I would suggest a cut-off of the same wood be tested first.
Laser speed and power are based on type of material and how deep you want to cut.
Ken, I apologize, I totally misunderstood what you needed. The actual size of the material is 23.5 x 15.5.
I was planning on bringing a couple of off cuts from the board itself as "practice" pieces incase you needed them. Thanks again.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors