Kiln drying services

Blake

New User
Blake
Does anyone know of any kiln drying service in eastern NC or somewhere close. I am harvesting a 55'+ persimmon tree that blew down into a cotton field during a storm. I have only cut enough to get it out of the field and I did seal the cut ends. I plan on trying to rift saw as much as possible of the trunk and just saw any remaining pieces large enough to produce a 3-4" wide board. Does not have to be just a kiln. If there is a facility that will slice and dry, that might be a better plan.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What is the diameter (circumference) of the persimmon tree? If you find someone who can saw it then you could air dry the wood for a year or two.

Blake

New User
Blake
What is the diameter (circumference) of the persimmon tree? If you find someone who can saw it then you could air dry the wood for a year or two.
Diameter at base is about 15" with a large bend (probably storm related in past) necking down to about 10" with an overall length of 22', The piece I removed goes from that 10" down to about 5-6". I will probably cut and dry this myself and use for boxes. Have I mentioned how heavy this stuff is? And how hard, 2300 Janka hardness?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
How will you cut/saw the wood to be used for boxes? Just curious.

It is heavy wood and so is dogwood with Janka hardnesses of 2300 and 2150, respectively. Hickory wood is 2140 and white oak is 1350 in comparison.

Persimmon and dogwood were used historically to make mallets, splitting malls and wedges for splitting tree logs into sections. Golf club heads were also made from these woods.

Blake

New User
Blake
How will you cut/saw the wood to be used for boxes? Just curious.

It is heavy wood and so is dogwood with Janka hardnesses of 2300 and 2150, respectively. Hickory wood is 2140 and white oak is 1350 in comparison.

Persimmon and dogwood were used historically to make mallets, splitting malls and wedges for splitting tree logs into sections. Golf club heads were also made from these woods.

I have a green wood blade for my 17" Grizzly bandsaw and a strong son. This wood would be cut from the smaller section of the trunk and limbs in about 2-3' sections. I am trying to find a sawyer locally who is willing to rive cut the trunk and has connections with a kiln operator. I found one but the man who answered the phone simply said, "Hello.", when he answered the phone with no company identification. Was not very professional and seemed bored with my call. I am going to try elsewhere.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am trying to find a sawyer locally who is willing to rive cut the trunk and has connections with a kiln operator.

What is rive cut? Did you mean quartersaw or rift cut?

Blake

New User
Blake
I am trying to find a sawyer locally who is willing to rive cut the trunk and has connections with a kiln operator.

What is rive cut? Did you mean quartersaw or rift cut?
Rift cut. Must have had a brain freeze.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I'd love to see some pics of the lumber once you have it cut up. Do any of the pieces have dark heartwood, similar to ebony (same genus)? It might really do a number on your bandsaw blade.

Blake

New User
Blake
I'd love to see some pics of the lumber once you have it cut up. Do any of the pieces have dark heartwood, similar to ebony (same genus)? It might really do a number on your bandsaw blade.
I am delaying cutting the wood until I either have a kiln lined up of make up my mind about air drying. I am leaning toward making a small rack outdoors and trying. I did cut a small end piece and the wood is pretty much yellow, not as much as yellowheart, but still yellow. No dark heartwood yet. The only cutting has been about 25' up the trunk. I used a woodslicer blade for this small piece but will change to the Timberwolf 1" green wood blade for slicing it into boards. My son (cheap labor) is coming up from Wilmington next weekend so that is probably the slicing date.

williv

New User
will
I don't know what part of eastern NC you're in, but there's a sawyer a few miles east of Havelock on NC 101 that does travel to saw. I'm not sure if he has a kiln yet or not. I'll dig up his contact info if you're interested.

Blake

New User
Blake
Thanks for the offer but, right now, I am leaning even more toward making a rack and air drying. I know that means letting it sit for a year or so but I think it will be worth it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the offer but, right now, I am leaning even more toward making a rack and air drying. I know that means letting it sit for a year or so but I think it will be worth it.

Good plan with a relatively small amount of lumber that you'll get from sawing the tree trunk section into boards. Carry on with your experiment.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors