Jim's what's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I stopped by to se Jim in Mt. Airy today and he had an interesting flea market find.

I think it is a saw float / saw gauge, but what do you think and how would you use it?

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

You can click on the pictures for a closer look see.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
[SIZE=-1]Antique 1888 Atkins Co. Adjustable Saw File Holder? [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Molded into the iron are patent dates which range from May 5, 1874 through January 1888. It adjusts to hold any file which is up to 1/2'' in width so that you can file saws. It measures 1''x2-1/4''x5-1/4'' and weighs 1 pound. [/SIZE]Here's one...Ebay Item #250284632734

This is how I found out what my mysterious Stearns Hollow Auger was...Danged if you can't find everything on the bay!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, and it is also a raker tooth gauge. But can you find instructions for this particular gauge?

Hint, it's not on fleabay. :nah:

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Fleabay just gets you started! Several different descriptions. Next, the bigger searches to find out what it REALLY is, and I think you got it right. I knew Atkins probably had something to do with saw. I collect a few old Disston saws. Heck, I got a sawset, don't know how to use it either. Got a saw vise, it's self explaining. Don't you just love old tools. I still need to try out the hollow auger. Bought a Stanley brace and a miller fallsbrace just play with it. Haven't sharpened the chisel yet in the auger yet....

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hey! You're pretty good! Or did you have that link saved already?

I was looking for the USFS trail manual from the 1980s, I'm pretty sure it's in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors