It this possible? A challange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Okay, you guys. Please update the lexicon list. What's BDU and PR?

BDU - Battle Dress Uniform - which has been supplanted by the new digital camouflage, the name of which I forget... hey, I don't wear it anymore, so names don't quite matter as much. I am a little envious that the new uniform is NOT supposed to be ironed or pressed while in garrison, which is something that we weren't supposed to do to the old BDU's... but we usually did anyways.:BangHead:

as to the PR - I think that is Poly or Plastic Resin?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It would be easier to turn it 90 degrees.
for 45 it would have to be a hexagon.
ALso it would need to be a "stack cut and remove part of the pattern on the top and move it to the bottom., reglue.
Even then the desired effect would be hit or miss.
This is and example of the effect and it is relatively easy to do.
Deer_collided_002_Small_.jpg

That is exactly what I was thinking. Of course your execution is probably better than what I would turn out :oops:

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
From my first post
"3. The blank would be clearly made from wood"
Got it covered
copy wrap around a wooden core that has been turned undersized.
The picture would be printed on paper made from wood pulp.
Meets all criteria.
The CA is the finish that would be scuffed to a satin gloss.
Frankly the pen sounds so ugly I just wanted to get it done.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Hope you don't mind this input.

First, I am not a turner so therefore do not make pens (that’s another story that may change, if you people don’t stop showing those beautiful pens:BangHead: ). But as a former Marine and retired Air Force, I believe the guys and gals would really enjoy the pens you make using ammo casings (or wood shaped as casing) for the bottom and a drab (read not shiny) top and clip. The only part of the pen that shows when sticking out of the pocket is the top and clip.

Again, I hope this input is proper just relaying my idea and what I would think is cool if I was over there.

This is not intended to diminish in any way the great thing you are doing for our troops.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Semper Fi.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
BDU - Battle Dress Uniform - which has been supplanted by the new digital camouflage, the name of which I forget... hey, I don't wear it anymore, so names don't quite matter as much. I am a little envious that the new uniform is NOT supposed to be ironed or pressed while in garrison, which is something that we weren't supposed to do to the old BDU's... but we usually did anyways.:BangHead:

as to the PR - I think that is Poly or Plastic Resin?

Now this is from a retired Naval Officer. Despite what Wikepedia and other so called expert Internet sources say, I believe, in military jargon, the acronym BDU, stands for "Battle Dress, Utility." Yup, it is a uniform, but back before the term BDU became popular and they were green, they were referred to as "Utilities" for short.

As far as the pen goes- does all of it have to be made from wood? How about turning a blank of some nice spalted maple, then use a Dremel type tool to cut random shaped recessess, which you would fill with various camo colors of epoxy or other filler. Then turn is true again.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Now this is from a retired Naval Officer. Despite what Wikepedia and other so called expert Internet sources say, I believe, in military jargon, the acronym BDU, stands for "Battle Dress, Utility." Yup, it is a uniform, but back before the term BDU became popular and they were green, they were referred to as "Utilities" for short.
Actually, if you go back further, in the army of the '50s, they were called "fatigues". They were Olive Drab", heavily starched with very sharp edges. I know, becuase I was responsible for doing my father's when he needed a set done quickly or for special occasions. Even the blousing of the legs into the boots had a sharp crease. In my father's case, he used coffee cans with the ends taken off, to maintain the shape.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I know it wouldn't be made of wood, but I have seen some of the pens that people have turned by using blue jean material soacked in CA. I am guessing you could maybe do the same thing with some BDU fabric. I would be interested to know if it was possible anyway.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, a little research has yielded this, someone who is still in, could you correct me,

For the army it is something like this. In the first Gulf War, the UOD was the 6 color desert ("Choclate Chip"). Then this was supposed to be supplanted by the 3 color Desert (Digital) but units were authorized to wear the old 6 color until they ran out of stock:eusa_danc Now the newest is no longer called BDUs, but ACU for Army Combat Uniform. I think all 3 are in use, certainly the later 2. Not sure what the Jarheads are using.

In the order mentioned above here are the patterns:

Chocolate_chip_bdu_pants.jpg

camo-desert-3.jpg

Army_Combat_Uniform.jpg

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I know it wouldn't be made of wood, but I have seen some of the pens that people have turned by using blue jean material soacked in CA. I am guessing you could maybe do the same thing with some BDU fabric. I would be interested to know if it was possible anyway.
I did this 2 years ago and to the best of my knowledge I may have been the first.
There are blanks made out of denim that cost $10.00 but they look like a pair of new folded jeans.I hate new jeans! I have penty of old ones to cut up and it doesn't takle that much CA.
I would estimate less than $2.00 worth if you buy it is 16 ounce bottles.even with a $6.00 bottle you shouldn't need to use more than a third of it at most.
(I use both thick and thin)
I wrapped the tubes of a pen with CA in layers and then turned them off after they hardened.
SCart_final_judge_005.jpg

I had thought of it for Steve's "challenge" but it did not meet the criteria of being made out of wood.
From experience the pattern needs to be small and repeat enough because of the diameter of a pen.
Finding fabric like that in the pattern you are looking for is difficult I did try.
I believe my original idea(that met all criteria) with the printed paper is the most best way to come up with a realistic appearance.
AS far as turning paper, that too can be done.
news_paper.jpg

In the above pen I actually turned of layers of paper and then put a CA finish on it.
After thinking about the challenge, the idea of cutting woods of the correct colors to get the desired effect though may be possible is not worth the amount of time involved.
It would depend on how many planes the design could be lay ed up in because ultimately it will be turned round.
The amount of pieces to be cut to give it a 360 degree effect is not worth the effort.
My original suggestion meets all criteria and would have the desired effect but certainly not worth the time for a novelty pen.

Last edited:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I did this 2 years ago and to the best of my knowledge I may have been the first.
There are blanks made out of denim that cost $10.00 but they look like a pair of new folded jeans.I hate new jeans! I have penty of old ones to cut up and it doesn't takle that much CA.
I would estimate less than $2.00 worth if you buy it is 16 ounce bottles.even with a $6.00 bottle you shouldn't need to use more than a third of it at most.
(I use both thick and thin)
I wrapped the tubes of a pen with CA in layers and then turned them off after they hardened.
SCart_final_judge_005.jpg

I had thought of it for Steve's "challenge" but it did not meet the criteria of being made out of wood.
From experience the pattern needs to be small and repeat enough because of the diameter of a pen.
Finding fabric like that in the pattern you are looking for is difficult I did try.
I believe my original idea(that met all criteria) with the printed paper is the most best way to come up with a realistic appearance.
AS far as turning paper, that too can be done.
news_paper.jpg

In the above pen I actually turned of layers of paper and then put a CA finish on it.
After thinking about the challenge, the idea of cutting woods of the correct colors to get the desired effect though may be possible is not worth the amount of time involved.
It would depend on how many planes the design could be lay ed up in because ultimately it will be turned round.
The amount of pieces to be cut to give it a 360 degree effect is not worth the effort.
My original suggestion meets all criteria and would have the desired effect but certainly not worth the time for a novelty pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors