Is this cherry?

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
I purchased a piece of “cherry” from Woodcraft, several months ago. It is clearly labeled as cherry. Today I turned a piece of it for a pepper mill, after turning it is a lot paler, and looks like maple. What do you think cherry or maple.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpeg
    IMG_2390.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it is just "light" cherry, se it in the sun... oh wait, you don't see that until July up there! LOL
(got a sunlamp) LOL

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I think it's cherry - rub a little mineral spirits on it. If cherry, it'll darken, if maple, not so much.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Hank, I am leaning towards “light” cherry. A friend whose shop I turned the blank said he thought it might be maple because of the light color and grain.

He is a demonstrator for Easy Wood tools and got to test out a couple of the tools and Easy Woods beading tool. Now that I have tried them, I plan on acquiring a couple of them.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hate trying to ID wood on the computer or with pictures, but I am looking at the grain and the "almost mottling" of color when you look between the annular rings
1681432830143.png

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I would just take a big wiff of the shavings from the turning. Cherry has a distinctive, pleasant, slightly perfumed smell - to me anyways!

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS