Integrated Toe Kick step-stool support Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Good morning folks,

It's been awhile, but I've recently gotten back into the shop for a new project, and thought I'd bounce a few ideas off of the collective wisdom of the group before diving in.

I'll be re-modeling one of our half-baths over the Fall, (In advance of a Christmas Party Drop-Dead Deadline), and among other things, will be building a custom vanity. That said, we have 2 young boys, (6 and 2), so since this will be a custom build anyway, I came up w/ the idea to design in an integrated pull-out toe kick directly in front of the sink to serve as a step-stool for the little guys, (and/or young visitors in the future).

I believe I have the aesthetics worked out, but am stuck on the support.

Option A, (currently) would be a heavy-duty, (150#-220# rated in case an adult, and/or 2 at-a-time kiddos were to give it a try) side-mounted full-extension drawer slide, soft-close and/or push-to-open being nice options there as well, (though they drive up the cost exponentially). Seems straight-forward enough, though I am worried about "deflection" when fully extended. Might not be a big deal - any experience from the group?

Option B being a simple standard-duty drawer slide, (to aid w/ alignment only), w/ hidden castors of some sort to take the stress off of the slide - flatness/levelness of the floor becomes a factor here to avoid binding, and as I'm planning on laying the tile (possibly travertine) myself as well, (1st time - gotta' learn somewhere), it's a real factor.

Advice/ input/ brainstorming welcomed - thanks!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have done two bathroom remodels in the past year and found everything takes longer than you think it should take. We ordered a toilet and it took three tries before we got one that wasn't broken. Then the tiles are a challenge to cut around the toilet flange. The vanity base itself was the most straightforward part of the remodel. When I laid the tiles, I used a 1/8" spacer but because of the bevel edge on the tiles, you end up with an almost 1/4" space between the top edges of the tiles. This may make your castors bumpy if they roll over the floor. One thing I recommend is to get your thinset for the tiles white if your tiles are light colored because the gray thinset shows up when you are grouting. Good luck.

Roy G

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think option A would work, but never underestimate the destructive power of 4-year olds.
Option B, using casters, will probably be more durable over the long run. You may want to look at library stool casters. They lock into place when you step on them. I wouldn't worry too much about the casters binding. Assuming the step is only about 12" wide, if it ends up binding you've got bigger issues than not having a working step stool....you'll be ripping out the floor.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Its a good idea Heath and welcome back! As someone mentioned, I would make sure the slide mechanism locks when open so no one leans back and goes for a very hurried ride backwards and downwards!.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Heath, if it were me I think that I would design it with a spring assembly on the drawer slides that allowed them to deflect downward slightly when the step is extended out and someone stand on it. That way you could put some rubber buttons on the bottom of the step so that when weight is applied it sticks to the floor and can't slide out from underneath the kids.

The thought concept is similar to a Cotterman style ladder such as you see in Lowes or Home Depot. When you step on the ladder, it drops down and the rubber end caps prevent it from moving. The difference is that with the springs you don't have to physically unlock the step, it will instead spring back up off of the floor allowing it to be slid back into storage.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Use a tip out stool stored behind the cabinet doors under the sink. Open doors, tip out stool which is attached to cabinet and cannot slide out of place.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Excellent points guys - thanks for the input!

Bas/ Scott - I especially like the ideas re: some sort of "friction" lock to minimize the potential for movement when loaded - I had not thought of that point previously.

I'm not sure that I've seen a commercially available spring loaded drawer slide, and the library stool casters look simple enough to incorporate - that may be the winner. My hangup w/ casters prior to this discussion was the potential for uneven surface if we ultimately decide on a "rougher" Stone/ Travertine tile vs. a smoother Porcelain/ Ceramic, (i.e. would the coarse texture of the tile prevent a small diameter caster from riding over), but you have a point, over say a 12-16" extension depth, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Excellent points from all - thanks again!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry, I'm not much help on the design specifics. Something like this from American Standard? Zoom in and the slide out shelf has a tapered side profile but no clue about how it slides from the installation instructions at AS.

https://www.wayfairsupply.com/Ports...D9750.html?source=hotdeals#js-product-reviews

The boys are 2 and 6 so I'd be concerned about pinched fingers and moving parts. Maybe a plain old portable step stool is better if you don't mind moving it around the bathroom for a few years. :dontknow:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thinking, thinking, and thinking about the OP's question.

Side mount casters don't swivel, and they are low profile fastened on the inside of the "upside down drawer" that the kids will be standing on (not visible like a side mount drawer slide).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9994t91/=14p0216

Here's a rough idea for discussion. It'll be cantilevered with 2 side mount casters on the frame. Lift the front to slide it back in underneath the bathroom vanity.

step_stool:heath1.jpg

step_stool:heath2.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Had 3 kiddos. The step stool that Charlie mentioned is the best choice. The amount of time it will be used at the sink and other places outweigh the cool factor.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Jeff - Awesome suggestion. Very KISS friendly. I should be diving into this project in the next couple weeks, (after staining our front porch), & will update w/ the final results once I get them sorted out.

Awesome feedback guys - thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors