Inlay work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Sometime back, Sawduster, IIRC, posted a picture called "Crown of Thorns" a very striking peice, I thought.

I'm wondering where I might find a book or tutorial or whatever that details how this technique is done, because I know ZIP about the process.......

(Paste not working, or I'd post a linlk to the pic referenced, sorry....)

sawduster

New User
Robert
Thanx for the compliment, but that was actually overlay not inlay. I used 1/8" BB on 3/4 builders ply
I do, however, do some inlay and would be happy to help.
The inlay I do on a scroll saw consists of stacking 2 materials , drilling a small entry hole and then angling the blade anywhere from 3 degreess to 7 degrees depending on the thickness of the wood(s)
Then you cut clockwise or counterclockwise depending on if you want the top piece to drop down or the bottom piece to lift up
I can be more specific if you want

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tom, is this is the pattern you are talking about? Like Sawduster said it is cut out of 1/8" ply and glued to another piece of 1/8" plywood painted black. PM me if you need the pattern.

Crown+of+Thorns+rev+1.jpg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have all the pieces to put my inlay router together sometime in the next few days. I got a 1/2" thick piece of Lexan for the base, a 3/4" electric conduit connector to fit my rotary hand piece from my new 1/3 HP hanging motor rotary tool and a couple of knob screws of the proper diameter to replace the connect screws. This will allow me to accurately route tiny channels at depths small enough to use veneer as inlay material. The method I will use is called "windowing". Draw the pattern you are going to route out on scrap veneer, cut it out with a razor knife, put the pattern over the spot to route, route through it and then use it as the pattern to cut another veneer piece. If you route a little too big, you will make the pattern bigger, so it will still be okay if it is minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS