I turned some ebony this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
This weekend I turned some ebony that I've have for about 15 years. One is a pen that my daugher and I did together. She is 6 and loved helping shape it. She has also asked if it could be hers. So now she owns a black ebony pen. I will be turning another tonight and tomorrow for a 40th birthday present for my brother-in-law. The ebony is very hard and really didn't need a finish, but I went ahead and put a coat of HUT Crystal Coat on anyway.

P10100181.JPG

I also turned a bottle stopper from a piece of the same ebony and I think it turned out ok. I may put it back on the lathe and refine the finish a little more. You can see a few machine marks, but overall I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

P10100251.JPG

P10100241.JPG

P10100202.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, both the pen and stopper look great. Ebony isn't the easiest to turn, it tends to be quite brittle. And don't get me started on the potential finishing problems. So pat yourself on the back you did a great job on both of them :eusa_clap

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Nice job on the ebony work.
I haven't found it to be brittle but then again there are may varieties.
Finishing is another story.
When I first started making pens I wanted an ebony euro for myself.Not knowing any better I tried a Ca BLO finish.
Four hours later and a pen with know finish I gave up on it and tried something "easier".
Cocobolo.:crybaby2:
Same results.
Lesson learned.
Don't add more oil to an oily wood.:icon_thum

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Nice work. I usually give it a final coat of thin CA, then finish to 3600 micromesh. Although not my favorite, folks love ebony and I sell all I make.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum Nice work Mike I also like working with ebony:eusa_danc and I have a bunch waiting from in the shop :BangHead: :slap: I will get to it soon :eusa_whis

MikeH

New User
Mike
:icon_thum Nice work Mike I also like working with ebony:eusa_danc and I have a bunch waiting from in the shop :BangHead: :slap: I will get to it soon :eusa_whis

I would be more than happy to take some if you don't have time for it. :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS