I need a mortiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonecarver

New User
Bonecarver
Hey guys I am interested in getting into the frustrating, highly rewarding field of chair making. Specifically rocking chairs. Do I really need a angle mortiser? and if so what type? The General benchtop has an angled head. Will that suffice or do I need a tilt table?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most rocking chairs I've seen use a round tenon and tapered hole for their spindle joinery. Either that or other methods of joinery. You should PM WalnutJerry a Windsor chair artist or Woodguy, Rocker & Touchwood who are sculptural (Maloof style) rocker artists and see what they and how they do their joinery.
I don't think that a square chisel mortiser is going to be the best machine for chair making, but it is a great machine for other M&T applications. The General with the tilting head is an excellent machine. I have a Delta, that doesn't tilt, and I have used a wedge block to angle the work piece when I've needed angle mortises.
MTCW,
Dave:)

woodnick

New User
Nick
I thing a mortister like the one pictured would work also. Since I've built it I haven't used my Delta.

woodnick

New User
Nick
I worked on it off and on for about a week, but all together it took me about 10 to 12 hours. I'll try and find the magazine it was in and get back to you.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Well, I don't know where walnutjerry is but I can tell you for a fact that he uses a radial drill press set at the correct angle and reamers to do his round windsor mortices. If you need square mortices you'll have to buy one that tilts or jig/rig something up.
Rob

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hey guys I am interested in getting into the frustrating, highly rewarding field of chair making. Specifically rocking chairs. Do I really need a angle mortiser? and if so what type? The General benchtop has an angled head. Will that suffice or do I need a tilt table?

In doing the windsor chairs, I have no square mortises-------everything is round so drill bits do the job. I do use a tilting head drill press or a bit and brace for the angled holes.

If you are doing "stick" chairs you may need an angled square mortise. That usually can be accomplished as Dave O stated, with wedges or a dedicated jig.

If I knew exactly what type chair you are doing I may be able to offer a little more help.

Jerry

Bonecarver

New User
Bonecarver
I am interested in making some traditional rocking chairs for my front porch. As you can tell by my ignorance ( with chair design) I was wondering if an angled mortiser was necessary.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am interested in making some traditional rocking chairs for my front porch. As you can tell by my ignorance ( with chair design) I was wondering if an angled mortiser was necessary.

I don't think it would be necessary------------bit and brace and Tbevel were used a long time to drill angled holes.

Jerry

Bonecarver

New User
Bonecarver
Thank you. You just saved my wife some considerable cash. Now the Lathe questions can begin. How big? How Much $$$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors