I knew I didn't need a Knew

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
After four coping saws, each a little better but each still stinks: Cheap, 2 Fat Max, one Erwin. I was almost going to break down and spend a stinking fortune on a Knew.
So I built the Taylor kit. Cheap one was actually useful. I used the handle for my scraper burnishing rod.

Blade goes " ping". I can set the blade to cut push or pull. Twists easily mid cut but holds the twist as it should.
Yea, after everything relaxes to final position, I'll make final trim of the crossbar.

You will notice I screwed up and forgot the threaded collars before JB weld of the handles. If it ever pops out, I'll re-do it but I have a lot of faith in JB Weld.
Different from the plans, I went up a number size, E I think, on the through holes from the 1/4 specified. It was just too snug.

After final fit, I'll do a nice finish. Purpleheart and maple, perfect combination. Anyway, it seems the 5000 year old design still is superior. We do of course get steel blades instead of bronze.

Knew may still get me for a fret saw. My Mother's original German jewelers saw is just as horrible as the cheap coping saw for woodwork. It does OK in 1/32 copper.

Attachments

• 20240314_082732.jpg
    20240314_082732.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 69

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea, sold out for now. I am sure they will get more in. I suspect the Stumpy video caused a rush.
Now, the question is if I can do beautiful work WITH it :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS