I always enjoy it, but don’t do it often enough…

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Working with hand tools is such a pleasant thing for me. Every time I do, I think how relaxing it is. There’s just something about feeling the cuts and getting those curls. I’m working on some shelving for a storage closet. I try to experiment with new techniques in places where a screw up isn’t so catastrophic, so I’m using half lap corners in a few places. In two spots I don’t want the end grain to show, so those are what I guess you would call a blind half-lap corner. Anyway, pulled out my marking knife, chisels, and a router plane. I had both corners done in less time than it would have taken to set up my router table. Bonus is I could have heard my music if I had chosen to. Instead, I just enjoyed the peace and quiet. I’m not going to abandon my power tools, but I need to remember to use the few hand tools I have more often.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I know what you mean.
I'm always a little disappointed when I finish detailing stopped dados or routed inside corners with a hand chisel. It seems to go too quickly and easily.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Dan - I considered the M&T for this joint. I need it to also serve as a kind of baseboard to cover where drywall meets the floor, so it has to be flush along the back. Half lap fits that requirement, and besides... Isn't a half lap just a M&T with one wall of the mortise gone? :)

That and I wanted something quick so I can get back to my inset shelf project I have been posting about. I have a few little ankle biter assignments to finish before I can get back to that one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS