Hitachi M12VC router

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Used on my CNC machine ... It was varying speed and sounded like the bearings were going. So I did a teardown and found the "Magnet" part used by speed controller appears to be broken.

Capture.JPG

HitachiRouter.jpg

Now the problem - The Magnet part spins but doesn't come off (like it is stripped).
1. It looks like it needs to be replaced.
2. I can't remove the bearing under it; without it removed.

I think the Magnet part is aluminum.

Any idea how to get the Magnet [26] off?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I got both the bearing and Magnet part off. Gear puller and metal scrapers under the bearings, broke them loose.
I already have both bearings needed. But, it looks like, the other needed replacement parts are ~$80!

The router is out of production. I know that I purchased one of them new for ~$139 and the other refurb at ~$90.
It doesn't appear that my backup will be repaired anytime soon.

I checked ebay/amazon - used can be purchase $50 to $169 range... Why is it that people will pay more for a used device then it was new?

Echd

C
User
You used one of these on a cnc router? I remember drawing up a reducing collet to 3d print and fit the oddly sized body of mine into a router lift. I eventually swapped over to a Bosch that fit without an adapter.

It's a good unit, just a weird size. I don't care for the means of changing height, that little sliding sleeve on the bases wasn't my favorite.

In all honesty if you're using it enough to wear it out, have you considered a chinese spindle? I've been using a 220v huanyang with no issues, the 110s are dirt cheap and not as nice as the 220s generally bit I think you'd be more likely to snap a bit than trip a breaker even on a 110.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
In all honesty if you're using it enough to wear it out, have you considered a chinese spindle? I've been using a 220v huanyang with no issues, the 110s are dirt cheap and not as nice as the 220s generally bit I think you'd be more likely to snap a bit than trip a breaker even on a 110.
I second this. If youre using it on a CNC, look to upgrade, these types of routers arent designed for the long run times a CNC can create or the thrust loads.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
m12vc_front_new.jpg

This is the model I have been using for over 20 years ... remove the base and it has a round body.
When I built my CNC that many years ago. Spindles where very expensive and most were water cooled.

My backup router is mounted/running now. When it dies, I may see if there are enough parts to make one work.
Or change over to a spindle.

kg5000

Kenny
User
Maybe it was just time for that Hitachi to be retired. I bought my second hand Joe's Hybrid 4x4 CNC machine with the same Hitachi M12VC router. The machine was built in 2012 and I acquired it in 2019. As far as I know this is the original router. I have not done any router maintenance (not even brushes) and the router is still hanging in with no issues. I am a hobbyist and use my mill maybe 3 - 4 times a month.

You should check out spindles as suggested above. You can find decent air-cooled spindle/VFD setups below $400 these days. The 1.5 KW spindle have much more power than routers. Once my Hitachi router starts complaining or I have $$$ burning a hole in my pocket I will be upgrading to a 1.5 KW spindle.

Echd

C
User
The nicest thing about spindles are the automatic control, both of RPM and power when the job is done. If your cnc supports that anyway, if it's an older machine that doesn't have pwm or modbus or something it may not.

Even then the consistent power afforded by the spindle is nice. And the precision of er20 (or 11 or 16) collets is far better than that afforded by the 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets on the makitas. Also spindles can run slower at higher torque, which is beneficial for metals.

That said for wood, its not like machinist level precision is necessary anyway.

Although I originally used a trim router (the makita, as many hobbyists do) I dumped it real quick after a modest surfacing job with a 1.25" Carbide bit left it feeling dangerously hot to the touch. While they do it all the time, they just really arent made with that sort of duty cycle in mind. Now with a spindle my 3" surfacing bit chews through slabs and terrifies me at the same time.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Maybe it was just time for that Hitachi to be retired. I bought my second hand Joe's Hybrid 4x4 CNC machine with the same Hitachi M12VC router. The machine was built in 2012 and I acquired it in 2019. As far as I know this is the original router. I have not done any router maintenance (not even brushes) and the router is still hanging in with no issues. I am a hobbyist and use my mill maybe 3 - 4 times a month.

You should check out spindles as suggested above. You can find decent air-cooled spindle/VFD setups below $400 these days. The 1.5 KW spindle have much more power than routers. Once my Hitachi router starts complaining or I have $$$ burning a hole in my pocket I will be upgrading to a 1.5 KW spindle.
My machine is an original Joe's 4x4 machine. Moved it from Houston, TX to NC about 10 years ago. Everyone was using the Hitachi router on them.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors