High School Student outreach-water fowl carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtdums

New User
Jim
I have a 12th grade student enrolled in my advanced Wood Arts class that wants to learn water fowl carving. His pyrography skills are excellent, and we have power carving equipment available, but I honestly haven't done any work of this nature and was hoping a member might offer to help get him started.

We are located in Davidson, and he does drive, so someone within a reasonable distance from school would be the most practical.

This is a super kid and I just want to do right by him so I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks for any help offered.
-Jim Dumser
Community School of Davidson

Here are some samples of his previous work.
DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The young man definitely has talent, Jim. Hopefully someone on here will be able to take him the next step. Is it just waterfowl he wants to carve, or is he interested in any other form of carving?

jtdums

New User
Jim
He wants to expand on his pyrography efforts and the idea of the carving came from discussions for a direction on his senior project.
This is the type of project he is interested in:
woodcarving-woodcrafting-6.jpg

We don't have traditional carving tools, but we do have the power carving tools available.
I believe there used to be someone in the Cornelius area that was teaching this style of work, but my friend who took that class has since passed away and I can't find contact information.
He has done some leaf carving in the Dixie Biggs style as adornment on turned platter work. (Power carving) So he has some experience, but to take it to the next level he needs a little coaching and perhaps some pointers as he moves forward.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try a search of the forums here using the term Decoy. I seem to remember a pointer to a web-site dedicated to the art, but can't remember what thread it might have been in. You will also see some examples of a couple of our members work if you do so.

It would definitely be a shame if someone with that much talent couldn't find a suitable mentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors