Heating solution

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Pellet stove used in my shop. If it's 35 or so it takes an hour to two to get the shop to 60. If it's 20 or lower it takes a bit longer. It's pretty efficient and pretty cheap. I could add some milk house heaters to bring the temp up more quickly but I abhor resistive electrical heating and do my best to avoid it.

BburgBoy

Larry
User
There are a lot of factors to consider: 1) how much do you want to spend, 2) what level of comfort do you want/require, and 3) the hassle factor. The first is obvious - your call. The second is more subjective but most people can work comfortably at about 60 degrees. I prefer it a bit warmer. And the final one relates to the first and what's available in your area. For example, do you have access to gas? Are you willing to put in a propane tank?

Five years ago I too was in your boat. In my case, I don't have gas and didn't want to go the propane route even though I have a propane fireplace. It was easiest and cheapest for me to install at 75,000 watt King Eco 2S electric. The entire effort - the unit + paying an electrician - was less than $1,000. I am relatively comfortable in my 700 square foot garage with 11 ft ceiling. Because of the ceiling height, I have to run fans to keep the air moving. Otherwise, all that hot air is above my head and doing me no good.

On the other hand, if I had to do it over again, I'd likely splurge and go with a mini split. Remember, that's a heat pump and you're rewarded with summer time cooling.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors