Hand carved lion's head throne chairs on eBay - how many hours to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimTrail

New User
JimTrail

Question.
About how many hours does it take to make a hand carved lions head throne chair like the ones below?

It would take a pretty good trim carpenter at least a week, maybe more, to make a chair like that.

The first chair below is offered on eBay for $795. The second chair is offered on eBay for $995 (I would put a link to the listings on eBay but the forum moderator might not want that).

The listings don't say where the chairs were made.

Just labor alone would cost at least $1000. The eBay listings don't say the chairs are antique. There's lots of chairs like this for sale on eBay.

Attachments

• Lions Head Throne Chair 2.JPG
    Lions Head Throne Chair 2.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Lions Head Throne Chair 1.JPG
    Lions Head Throne Chair 1.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 216

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
For me? If I was dedicated, without interruption from the Mrs. or kid, I'd say a solid ... no interruption ... afternoon to pull it all together and upholster the seat and seatback.

Why hurry?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have seen some that looked very similar and thought they were carved wood, but on closer inspection discovered they were molded resin or resin and sawdust. They usually have a very dark heavy stain or paint finish.

$1000 wouldn't begin to cover the labor of carving wood to that degree. Probably wouldn't cover the cost of the wood.

JimTrail

New User
JimTrail
That's what I thought.

One of the listings on eBay said the chair was made of mahogany.

I bought a leather belt off of eBay. A local shoe repair shop told me it was leather power that had been mixed with glue and poured into a mold. I guess they have done the same thing with these chairs.

They're good looking chairs but junk probably.

JimTrail

New User
JimTrail
Why would anyone object to putting a link to eBay?

One's a queen chair. The other is a king chair.

Both listings say they are hand carved. They may have got Mexican workers to carve them. Something doesn't seem exactly right.

Carved Mahogany Lion Head Gothic Throne Chair - Queen with Arms
"These throne chairs are hand carved from solid mahogany. Finished in dull-brown polish and upholstered with tufted reddish burgundy leatherette with antiqued brass tacks (see first photo for current upholstery)."

Carved Mahogany Lion Head Gothic Throne Chair - King Silver and Black
"One of our most popular sellers - these throne chairs are hand carved from solid mahogany. Finished with distressed silver paint and upholstered with tufted black velvet with antiqued brass tacks. These "King" chairs are 6' tall. Check out our eBay store for traditional dull brown polish finish. Buy several and save on shipping.

SOLID WOOD PRODUCT: This item is made from solid wood imported from southeast Asia. Although the wood has been kiln dried at the factory, moisture is sometimes absorbed into the wood while in its humid origin. Swelling, shrinking and sometimes cracking may occur in drier climates. Carvings and measurements may vary slightly from photos."

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Interesting that there is a 3-4 month lead time on the order (after pre-payment). It also says that the item is new. Lots of other items from this seller and their feedback rating looks good. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS