Guns n' Dolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Clara's Barbie (1/6th-scale) inspects the 1/12-scale Cannon:

Cannon_Barbie-2-dscf0954.jpg

The model is an emulation, rather than an exact detailed copy. An artist-friend will assist me with the more advanced artistic details, the King's head and the Dolphins. Interestingly, the use of bolted artillery-strakes on the wheels is period-correct, whereas the continuous iron tires on the movie gun are not; it seems that welded tires on wagon wheels didn't come into use until the early 19th century.

One "Gotcha!" on making model cannons; the trunnion position relative to the bore. This got me, as I have it ingrained that cannon trunions are centered on the bore-line center; this is only true since Master Gunner John Mueller of Woolwich Arsenal re-designed cannon in 1756 and moved them up, from the traditional position of being centered on the lower line of the bore. The movie gun is similar to the tradition, and I didn't realize this until after painting up the completed barrel, and studying the movie again, when it was too late to change it.

The carriage and wheels are all made from scraps of Douglas Fir; the main length of the barrel too, with the breech and muzzle swellings of scrap pine. Spokes are poplar, and the hubs pine.

Trail-armor and strakes are all fabricated from "Simpson Strong-Ties" construction straps. The miniature lag-screws used on the armor were ground from slotted, hex-head#8 sheet-metal screws, and linoleum nails provided the rest of the studs for the armor. The rings are bent from coat-hanger wire.

Cheers,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Canon-ball Barbie just didn't catch on well did it :gar-La;:gar-La;

That's awesome, the details are perfect. If I show this to my daughter I'll be making canons for her dolls too.
Thanks for posting I am sure it was a labor of love and it shows in the details.

Dave:)

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Canon-ball Barbie just didn't catch on well did it :gar-La;:gar-La;

That's awesome, the details are perfect. If I show this to my daughter I'll be making canons for her dolls too.
Thanks for posting I am sure it was a labor of love and it shows in the details.

Dave:)

I'd like to make a Jeep for Clara's Barbie's. I showed this to little Nathan (18 months) and he was disappointed that I wouldn't let him play with it! I'll have to start making one for him soon.

John

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Cannon for Barbie? I dunno, a chariot would see more her choice of wheels. So much more fashionable than a Conestoga wagon.

BarryC

New User
Barry
If you look real close there is a gleam in Barbie's eyes as if she is truely in awe of the magnificent thunder pot in front of her. Of maybe she justs wants to shoot it.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is a pretty cool project. Barbie looks right at home there with her new toy:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS