Fun with scrap/reclaiming bench space...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks good Dave, I had a bonus day yesterday, but spent it sanding walls, preparing for paint.

The plane rack, if your banging something on your bench, do the planes fall out?

Hopefully not. My bench is actually attached to the block wall and wouldn't move if a Mack truck rammed it. But we'll see and if so I'll either fashion some keeper clips or set it at a greater angle.

So, Dave I have a question. How easy is it to place the chisels back in the rack? Do you see your self going back and forth between chisels in the rack, or just using them on the bench and replacing them when done.

The chisels go in and out of the rack very easily, there is a credit card thickness of extra space in the slots to allow that. I suspect that I will pull out the ones I need and leave them on the bench while using them...like I do with all my tools (and some times put them back up when done)

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks great Dave! Be careful, the Neander way is another slippery slop and it looks like you are teetering awfully close to the edge!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks great Dave! Be careful, the Neander way is another slippery slop and it looks like you are teetering awfully close to the edge!

Painting is a slippery slop, at least for me :gar-La;:gar-La;
I am finding that using handtools is becoming more and more regular in my work. It has taken me a while to get everything sharp enough to make them usuable, but now that I do sometimes they are just a lot easier than setting up a machine. I am hoping when I get my wet stones ready, that the sharpening won't be as much of an issue.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The rack(s) look nice! :icon_thum

I'd like to hear what you think of those chisels once you've put em through a few workouts.

BTW when I built the rack for my AI chisels I did NOT apply a finish to the inner surfaces that the chisel rests against. After a few weeks time I pulled a chisel out and saw the beginning stages of rust formation. I resawed, pared the dados a bit deeper, applied a few coats of lacquer and re-assembled. The problem has not recurred. My chisel rack was walnut, so maybe the walnut's porosity contributed to the problem? :dontknow:

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I shot both the plane till and chisel rack with a few coats of rattle can shellac. Hopefully that will seal the wood and I won't have any rust issues.
I am pretty impressed with the chisels so far. For what they cost, they seem well made. Right out of the box they are sharp enough to use and pared end grain well. The only other chisels I've been using are the ones that were a freebie from DeWalt, came with my 618 router. They are similar to the Marple BlueChip/Irwin style. They are a good set, but limited in size...and didn't look as good.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Those look great Dave. :icon_thum Your shop looks very functional. :widea: But, like someone else asked, what was the dog doing the whole time? :dontknow:

Dog_Drives_Car.jpg

:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hey Dave, where did you get that set? The one from HWW (or Amazon) only includes 6 chisels. I did notice two of them have a slightly different color handle - did you order those separately?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bas, Highland Woodworking had a 4 chisel set, and I added the other in between sizes to the order, because they were so ridiculosly cheap. I suspect that the different colors in the handles are due to them being wood...it comes in different colors :slap:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those look great Dave. :icon_thum Your shop looks very functional. :widea: But, like someone else asked, what was the dog doing the whole time? :dontknow:

Dog_Drives_Car.jpg

:rotflm:

What he always does....lying on the shop floor, blocking my only fire excape route and occasionally looking up at me with those "shut the dang router off, you're distrubing my nap" eyes :cool:

Malibu_and_Ava_008.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ditto all the above, but let me add a You Rock!! (or "Rocks suck" or whatever the current PC term is) for the chisel set.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS