Fruit wood

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Anyone know where I can get fruit wood like apple, pear, etc.? I would like to work with some just because.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Tonika,

One of the best sources is the ubiquitous Bradford Pear tree. Some consider it to be an invasive weed but I have enjoyed getting pieces to turn and make joiners mallets. I also had pretty good luck with drying this versus some woods like apple etc.

Another good thing about Bradford Pear, anytime there is a windstorm or ice storm, there's usually tons of it just falling from the sky.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Tonika,

One of the best sources is the ubiquitous Bradford Pear tree. Some consider it to be an invasive weed but I have enjoyed getting pieces to turn and make joiners mallets. I also had pretty good luck with drying this versus some woods like apple etc.

Another good thing about Bradford Pear, anytime there is a windstorm or ice storm, there's usually tons of it just falling from the sky.
Where can I find some pre dried for purchase?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where can I find some pre dried for purchase?

You won't, and you're unlikely to find other fruit wood lumber for purchase too. Those woods are usually neighborhood yard wood casualties from storms. Bradford pear is notorious for breaking in an ice storm.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jeff is right. Generally speaking, most fruit woods aren’t as readily available from dealers.

You can check around and see if anyone has any on hand, but most vendors don’t routinely have it in stock.

Bradford Pear is one of the easier yard trees to aquire and in my experience, one of the easier fruit woods to air dry.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Anyone know where I can get fruit wood like apple, pear, etc.? I would like to work with some just because.
The major reason you won't find many suppliers of woods like apple and pear is they check so badly in the drying phase.

You don't mention any application in your opening request. What will you make?

If you haven't used cherry, maybe that's an option?

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
The major reason you won't find many suppliers of woods like apple and pear is they check so badly in the drying phase.

You don't mention any application in your opening request. What will you make?

If you haven't used cherry, maybe that's an option?
I was thinking I could do some cutting boards and smaller turned items such as rolling pins and bowls. I have used cherry, I have a post with a cherry humidor that I am working on right now but it just seems I don't see much in the way of other fruit woods and would love to work with it just for the experience.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The cherry type that Dan is suggesting is not a true fruit wood compared to apple, peach, and pear that produce fruit for human consumption. That black cherry produces tiny fruits that birds eat but humans don't eat them.

I was thinking I could do some cutting boards and smaller turned items such as rolling pins and bowls. I have used cherry, I have a post with a cherry humidor that I am working on right now but it just seems I don't see much in the way of other fruit woods and would love to work with it just for the experience.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
You might consider persimmon (fruit wood). Murdock's Sawmill cuts and drys persimmon regularly. It is hard and dense and you will need sharp tools.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Try Ashevlle Hardware. I purchased a natural edge piece f Apple. 8/4 about 12" wide and 7' long several years ago. I purchase the piece for just the same reason, I had never seen Apple lumber. I have yet to make anything from it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS