Froglips shopsmith for sale. **Sold**

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Some of you may remember Jim Campbell, aka Froglips, on this site from past years. He passed away early last year and I am helping his family getting rid of what's left of his tools.

He has a Mark V ShopSmith with a lot of parts. Probably needs some shining up so not sure what it's worth, but a lot of parts. Would love to help out his family and get it out of their shed and get a reasonable price Attached are pics of all the parts I saw.

So if anyone is interested and knows someone interested, let me know.

Dan Snyder
20210731_100003.jpg
20210731_100023.jpg
20210731_100027.jpg
20210731_100032.jpg
20210731_100036.jpg
20210731_100052.jpg
20210731_100059.jpg
20210731_100113.jpg
20210731_100134.jpg
20210731_100237.jpg
20210731_100905.jpg
20210731_100931.jpg

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
That's a lot of stuff. I see a pocket hole unit, jointer & bandsaw as well. From my knowledge it would appear to be in the $700 to $800 range.

Pop

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Thank you Dan for helping. I'll will remember what a kind hearted person Jim was for as long as I can-dementia is in the family tree-and that ain't woodworking!

iclark

Ivan
User
That's a lot of stuff. I see a pocket hole unit, jointer & bandsaw as well. From my knowledge it would appear to be in the $700 to $800 range.

Pop
I think that the "pocket hole unit" is actually a biscuit cutter. The jointer fence is in the picture with the help box next to the rip fence. The knuckle for the jointer fence often got damaged when someone tried to carry the jointer by the fence. It would probably show better with the jointer assembled. I do not know why the jointer drive shaft has a pulley instead of a SS coupler.
The bandsaw looks to have been disassembled after it was dropped. The BS drive shaft is not there and I am not seeing the lower wheel in the pics.
I did find at least one 12" sanding disk.
There are 3 generations of TS tables as well as at least 2 rip fences in the pics.
If the tailstock or banjo are there, I cannot find them. Nor do I see the chuck for the drill press setup. There may be another box of parts somewhere that have the parts for the DP and lathe setups.
Anyone seeing all of the loose parts is going to be nervous about the maintenance on the headstock and the status of the porkchop that controls the Reeve's drive. Sadly, even if the headstock runs, then I suspect that you are more in the $400-$500 range if the missing parts can be found.

In case the OP is not familiar with Shopsmiths, the one absolute imperative is that you _never_ turn the speed dial when the spindle is not turning. I have seen people get away with it, but I also know of cases where the porkchop just snapped off because it bound up.

I think that the OP is doing a great thing. I am sorry to be so negative, but I am responding to the request for information rather than treating it as a for sale ad.

Last edited:

Lhloy

New User
Larry
The ShopSmith is a great solution to cram a little shop into 1 end of a 1 car garage and keep the wife's car inside. Of course, always planning to build a real shop out back. And you have to back the wife's car out when making sawdust. And you get tired of changing the thing back and forth, but you develop an appreciation for 'tuning' each setup. And you learn to think ahead. Speaking from experience.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
YEP! Old Pop blew it. That IS a biscuit cutter not a pocket hole puncher. I didn't go over the stuff shown as well as Ivan. If there's that many loose parts, and what looks to be damaged his numbers may well be on target. The most important thing is the speed controller. When I was repairing SS the most common repair was the speed control knob. The small pinion strips before the porkchop. I did find a guy who replaces that cast pinion with a steel one. You'll have to Google for the guy. You're lucky that SS has most parts still available. The problem with SS is that their very proud of their stuff. To further expound there stuff cost a lot.

Pop

bainin

bainin
Senior User
If you are in the Raleigh area, a good guy to work with for repairs on SS equipment is James Hopp. Really nice guy-and very knowledgeable on these tools.

b

iclark

Ivan
User
The ShopSmith is a great solution to cram a little shop into 1 end of a 1 car garage and keep the wife's car inside. Of course, always planning to build a real shop out back. And you have to back the wife's car out when making sawdust. And you get tired of changing the thing back and forth, but you develop an appreciation for 'tuning' each setup. And you learn to think ahead. Speaking from experience.
Absolutely! I got my first one to build a stair rail for one of my nieces. The horizontal boring capability was definitely the best way to drill the holes for the spindles in the underside of the hand rail. I liked that 500 enough that 4 or 5 others followed me home or to my niece's house in FL. That number includes a headless midi that I got to set up with their over-arm router setup. Even though I now have some stationary tools, I still use the SS's and the 6" belt sander on a powerstation is probably the 3rd most used tool in the shop (behind the lathe and the grinder/sharpener).

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
If you are in the Raleigh area, a good guy to work with for repairs on SS equipment is James Hopp. Really nice guy-and very knowledgeable on these tools.

b
Not looking to repair it, just help by getting rid of it. $400 would be fine.

Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas on price. Won't be greedy, just want to get it gone, but do right for her as well.
Dan

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Wow, I did not realize Froglips had passed away. Saddened and shocked. I took my father and my in-laws in just over two years ago. Dad has Alzheimers and MIL has dementia. Terrible conditions. Condolences to the family.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS