Freestanding dog gate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
Since moving into our new house in April, our dogs have been outside since then due to travels through the spring and summer and so we figured it was time to bring them back inside. We have a Great Dane and a Lab. We also have a new addition to our family due to make their appearance sometime in May, and my cousin is coming up from Florida at the end of this week and staying for a few days and she has a 4 month old. So, that brings me to where I am now in needing to build a gate to keep them in their kitchen area while the baby can play in the living room and not worry about getting trampled. My 2 and a half year old loves the dogs and plays with them so I'm not so much worried about him as I am my cousins baby and the one I got on the way.

So here is the project. The idea is to build a freestanding dog gate between the kitchen and living room. The opening is roughly 40+ inches wide and all the freestanding dog gates that I found online were around 150-200 bucks and I wasn't paying that so I figured I'd make one. Yesterday I started doing the figuring and design plans and making a few cuts and today I got all the cuts made and all the pieces stained. Tomorrow I'm not going to have that much time to work on it but I'm going to try to poly and cut the chicken wire that's going to go around it. Here are some pics as of now and will post pics as it all comes together. Trying to get this done before my cousin gets here on Thurs is going to be a challenge due to work and Christmas party tom evening, but it's coming together and looking good!!!

53bc4e60a0fd3af669422c891336e5c6.jpg
8745f4b48259fd66866b42868531cb82.jpg
265e8e3b319b998e5e40d169ad4a45ed.jpg

It's pretty much three part but all pieces will be connected by a board that will lay flat on the ground. I'm not adding any feet to it as of now bc I'm not sure if it's going to need any but will add some if when the time comes and if it needs them. Sorry for long post I'm just excited about my first true project for mine and my wife's house!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Looking good there.I used the vinyl webbed adjustable gates that are used for small kids.I also have a lab.You'll want it anchored good for dogs and your kid will lean on it.
Tony

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting the WIP pictures. Be sure and keep us informed of the progress. I'm especially interested in how you're going to hang and anchor the gate. Looks good so far.

I have a store-bought metal one between my shop and den so my Weimeraner can watch but not participate in shop activities. She looks funny in googles and a respirator. She does like to stand her front paws on the top of the gate when something interesting is going on (like a visitor) so anchor it well.

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
Thanks for the replies. I am going to see how it goes without anchoring it and just putting some feet on it at first if it needs to be anchored I've got an idea on how I am going to do that. I'll continue to post pics as I go along. In our other house we used the vinyl gates but the area where I need to put the gate is at an angle and no good place to use our old gates.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It looks great but my Rottweiler's would bust right through that especially if someone they didn't know approached the house.

We have two burglar alarms. My outside hunting dog who is the early warning system and two indoor Rottweiler's. A unwelcomed "guest" might could get past the outdoor alarm with little harm, but the "guest" would have #### to pay if the tried to enter the house unwelcomed.

Rottweilers are great family dogs but they are very protective of their "pack".

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
Here is an update, just finished assembling the frames for the gate the middle one is a half inch shorter that the two end ones which is going to be the gate.

015740702daa6affa20705ab8a9f6313.jpg

290298d4f66a34155b857e7f3df876da.jpg

115365c1cc12846978514da6a35d01a9.jpg

As you can see I just sandwiched the chicken wire in between the frames and nailed them together. I'm going for a rustic look since we live in a farmhouse! Now I just have to poly and then attach it to the base and install the gate lock and hinges, it's coming together nicely and the wife's happy. So it's a win win!!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What's holding it up around the door jamb so that "doggie" doesn't just join the family for snacks and popcorn?

Nice job on short notice too!
I THINK it's free standing.

Most animals are afraid of anything that moves by itself when the they touch it, even little movements. They tend to back away the first few times but some will return to test it while others will stay away for a long time. Dogs especially are quick to learn that it won't hurt them, once they figure that out they realize its OK to push it aside and go through it.

This fear factor is a reason why you can control a large cow with just a stick... Of course it helps if the stick gives them a little jolt the first few times (they remember) that jolt for a long time.

51tyP1VR4DL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Miller-SS-36-Sabre-six-hot-shot-Stock/dp/B000LF652Q

"Q: Does it have enough power to put a 1500 lb bull in his place?

A: Yes...... I use it on my mother and law"

Last edited:

igotatoyota

New User
Alex
As of right now it's just freestanding, and it is pushed up against the bar and door jam. So they can't just push it forward. My lab is timid about a lot of things that moves so she want get near and the great dane will be the one to test it. But as of now they are leaving it alone. I do have two spring loaded hook and eyes to fasten to it to keep it up if they start messing with it.

RayH

New User
Ray
You sure have polite dogs. You just needed to let them know you did not want them in there.
Excellent training.
:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS