Free oak tree in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Here is an attachment for a free oak tree in Durham. I know nothing about it except what the e-mail says. The owners would like it to be felled and removed. A friend sent it to me because she knew that I was a woodworker. I did just contact the owners via e-mail to make sure that it was still there, and it is. The owners e-mail address is as follows: res17bem@yahoo.com

Good Luck!

Attachments

• [FreecycleOrange] Offer_ Oak Tree.txt
    611 bytes · Views: 176

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hmmm, I wonder about the 600 yrs. old. Jeff...that could be a good one for you. I wonder how difficult the felling would be, I suspect that it's going to be pretty close to a house :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
An Oak tree that old is possible The Wye Oak in MD has been dated back to the 1500's and until it died recently regined as the largest Oak in the US. Oaks in the 200-300 yr. old range are fairly common as far as old Oak trees go.

J

jeff...

"From: "Pat Jones" <res17bem@yahoo.com>
To: <freecycleorange@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [FreecycleOrange] Offer: Oak Tree
Date: Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:41 PM

We have an oak tree which is probably 600 years old (very large) that was hit by lighting.
We were wondering if anyone would be interested in the tree for the wood. You must have the expertise to take the tree down and remove all of it.
It is located near DRH in Durham.

---------------------------------
Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]"

Couple of things dis-qualify me from this tree.

1) 600 year old oak? - ok I'm kinda wondering if we have like the worlds oldest oak tree here? If so, there is no way I would touch it - the tree huggers would be all over me like flies on you know what. My guess this is one of those common to NC willow oaks, like I have in my back yard that's at least 6' in dia and would take a crane and a semi to move.

2) I do not have the expertise to take the tree down and remove all of it.

3) Your more than likely talking about several thousands of dollars just to remove it - money I don't have.

4) My mill has 36" dia limitation and that's pushing it - it's really more like 32" dia. I really don't have a machine to quarter something that big either.

I really wonder if it looks like these.

Attachments

• bigtrees1.jpg
    bigtrees1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 161

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If not rotten hollow on the inside. Most foresters consider a trees useful life over at the point the the heart rot is the same or exceeds the rate of new woody growth. Most likely that tree would be good to make a canoe out of.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
From the picture in Jeff's post, I wonder exactly how much TOO MUCH OVERLOADED were those trucks. Maybe these were the cousins of guys logging near me who think 28 ton rated bridge is safe to cross on a continuing basis. DOT has already jacked bridge up a couple of times where the center bents (supports) have sunk. It is only bowed down about 6" now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS