First Try

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
This is the first try with my new rotary (4th axis) indexer on my CNC router...I started with a 12"- 3" x 3" piece of cherry...I used the oldest cheapest bits I had just in case there was a problem...1/2" straight carbide bit for the rough turning, and a 1/8" tapered ballnose bit for the 3d carving...I'm well satisfied with the result.

Attachments

• 84BFA1DB-9538-4BAC-83A4-D5B0821ACCB1.jpeg
    84BFA1DB-9538-4BAC-83A4-D5B0821ACCB1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone...Chris, I'm programming with Vectric Aspire, and my CNC has a Centroid Acorn controller...Home built aluminum and steel machine, 3' x 4' table surface, and 3 hp air cooled spindle...also have a 14 watt J-tech laser, and the rotary indexer has a 100mm chuck.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Thanks everyone...Chris, I'm programming with Vectric Aspire, and my CNC has a Centroid Acorn controller...Home built aluminum and steel machine, 3' x 4' table surface, and 3 hp air cooled spindle...also have a 14 watt J-tech laser, and the rotary indexer has a 100mm chuck.
I have a dedicated "CNC turner" made by laguna. Its only 3 axis though, Y is the rotary. Im using Aspire as well. the unwrapping feature is very powerful and lends itself well to the turner. But, I havent done much with it yet. How do you set your Z zero?

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Chris...At first, I found "z" zero by touching the tool to the top of the tail stock, move to the side in either "x" or"y" (which ever axis gives clearance), lower the "z" to the rotational center of the tail stock and reset "z" zero...I have a "z" touchplate, so now I have a set-up block that I 3d printed, that is the same height as the tailstock center from the table...put the touch plate on the set-up block, touch off the tool, done.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris...At first, I found "z" zero by touching the tool to the top of the tail stock, move to the side in either "x" or"y" (which ever axis gives clearance), lower the "z" to the rotational center of the tail stock and reset "z" zero...I have a "z" touchplate, so now I have a set-up block that I 3d printed, that is the same height as the tailstock center from the table...put the touch plate on the set-up block, touch off the tool, done.
yea, thats similar to what I did.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
What CNC machine are you using? My son are considering getting a machine but are just into researching what's out there. Looking to start with a "hobbyist" machine but one with the capability for doing production work if he wants to move toward a side business at some point. Any thoughts to share?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
What CNC machine are you using? My son are considering getting a machine but are just into researching what's out there. Looking to start with a "hobbyist" machine but one with the capability for doing production work if he wants to move toward a side business at some point. Any thoughts to share?
Not sure if you were asking me or Phil but Im using a Laguna Swift CNC 4x8 and a Laguna Turner. Both are entry level industrial quality machines.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Just to add to Chris' answer...my CNC is a self designed homebuilt, made of steel and aluminum...I've been running it for a little over 8 years now.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Unrelated comment. i love the MG. My first car was a MG midget. I still carry a MG keychain 44 years later! Very fun to drive

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Unrelated comment. i love the MG. My first car was a MG midget. I still carry a MG keychain 44 years later! Very fun to drive
Thanks...It's a 1978 model...true barn find...didn't run when I got it, and had to trailer it home...I did a lot of work to get it to where it is now...oil and water leaks, clutch, gas tank, carb rebuild, refit doors and windshield...I can go out right now, start it up and drive it anywhere.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Thanks re: CNC replies.

Re: MG...I owned an MGBT fastback back in the 70's. Fun car. Gave it to my brother as a reward for him finishing his GED.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS