Exterior Wood Glue and Brads or Screws

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Had a quick question. I'm building a couple of planter boxes for friends to use as an outdoor vegetable garden. I'm using cedar fence pickets and basing construction on some online plans they found. The plans call for Titebond III exterior wood glue and 1 inch brads to hold parts together as the glue dries.
So here's the question: Is just exterior wood glue enough to hold the planter together if it's outside and wet from watering the plants? Or would I be better off using 1 or 1 1/4 inch deck screws as well? I'd hate to have it fall apart.
Thanks for the help.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Cedar will also streak unless you use SS nails/brads/screws.

I built a couple of small planters for potted plants using cedar pickets. They're more for a deck or porch though. Used TB III and SS brads

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
TB-III is better than standard PVA, but not long term waterproof. Epoxy or waterproof marine glues are. Rely on physical joinery, not glue for outside.

Trey1984

Trey
User
Might be more than what your wanting to put into it but I've been making some and using pocket hole joinery. I use brads but only when gluing the sides together to hold in place until can get screws in them. I'm using titebond lll but take this with a grain of salt because haven't seen how they hold up long term yet

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_080227839~2.jpg
    IMG_20240417_080227839~2.jpg
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240417_080200248~2.jpg
    IMG_20240417_080200248~2.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 18

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I built one for my daughter several years ago. I used stainless steel screws and it is still holding up very well.

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
That's sort of what I was thinking. Use brads and glue initially. Brads to hold the pieces while I drill and install the screws. I was just wondering if that was overkill, and also a bit of added time. I'm not familiar with the characteristics of T3 and not sure how it it would hold up over time in a structure that's damp.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
By all means do not use Home Depot coated deck screws. They last 3 years, rust and break. Spend a little extra for stainless screws.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's sort of what I was thinking. Use brads and glue initially. Brads to hold the pieces while I drill and install the screws. I was just wondering if that was overkill, and also a bit of added time. I'm not familiar with the characteristics of T3 and not sure how it it would hold up over time in a structure that's damp.
Damp is ok, but wet is not.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS