Enlarging an opening in granite countertop

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I bought a new 30" cooktop, but unfortunately the opening is too small. I need to cut off about 1/4" on the long end at the back of the opening, closest to the backsplash. I have zero experience cutting stone, how feasible is it to do this with an average grinder and diamond wheel? I can imagine there being a lot of dust and/ or water involved to make this cut, and keeping the line straight might be a bit of a challenge.

If the DIY route is not advisable, any recommendations for a qualified professional to do this? I'm in Cary.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You need to call a granite countertop company in your area. Trust me when I say let the professionals do it. And yes it’s going to be messy.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I'm all for the DIY energy - but in this case, considering the replacement cost of that size of stone for a miscut/ chip out, and being a foreign material to you, (or mine anyway) experience - I'd call the pros, and chalk it up to cheap insurance.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've cut granite a few times. Skill saw and diamond blade. I used a straight edge clamped down. My granite was not installed. There ain't a shop vac on the planet that will catch all of the dust. Maybe half. The other half is a lot! Rots a ruck my friend. This ain't for the faint of heart. It's more of an adventure!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Ive done it at my old house just prior to moving. I had to replace the cooktop before closing. I used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. IT WAS A MESS!!!!! I built a plastic tent to enclose some of the dust, but it still went everywhere. But it can be done. I had recently had the countertops installed ($7300 worth) so I was nervous to say the least but it had to be done. Would I recommend it? no. just too messy.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
OK, when the majority in this group says call the pros and spend the money, it's for real :) The first quote I got was for $370 though, I know it's a messy job but that seems like a lot. But cheaper than replacing an entire countertop (and island...).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have done this before ........yes messy and if you do not have the tools then can be money for tools that will sit on a wall after you are done. Bear in mind I have access to Zip walls, Stone cutting equipment and high end vacs.

Set it up prep the floor and adjacent walls and get most prepped, then have the stone cutter out and try to get them to run it T&M, that would be one way to go, unless you get lucky and find a kind soul.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
OK, when the majority in this group says call the pros and spend the money, it's for real :) The first quote I got was for $370 though, I know it's a messy job but that seems like a lot. But cheaper than replacing an entire countertop (and island...).

Not really pricey considering what has to be done. BUT make sure they are using HEPA vacs and seal off the area. I had a kitchen install job where the counter top guys had to cut the sink hole on site (not sure why they didn't cut it before, all the other ones I've done the hole was cut off site) and they cut with crappy vacs that all they did was suck the dust into vac and then blow it right back out since its such fine particles. I walked in and was 10 feet away from them and couldn't see 1 foot in front of me. The mess took forever to clean up, and dust got everywhere in the front half of the house. The dust from cutting granite and other countertops are very unhealthy.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

this is what looks like when the cutout is preformed in the kitchen without any vacuuming. Needless to say that install crew was fired for leaving that mess. The house wasn’t finished but had been cleaned before. Trust me when I say even $500 would be cheap considering the risks involved.

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
I had almost the same problem when we put in a new cook-top. Called one of the granite shops and had them come do it. Two guys came out. I believe they used a grinding wheel with one guy following along with a vacuum hose and under a sheet of plastic they draped over the counter. Cleaned up after themselves. Did a nice job and virtually no mess for us to clean up. I think it was around $200 and well worth not ruining the granite.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Respiratory protection is a must for WHOEVER does this. Just read a news article last week saying that they were having a marked uptick in cases of silicosis among younger counter top installers using granite and quartz tops in CA. Likely here too but they are more 'vigilant' about this type of thing.

Gboot

Gene
Senior User
Second what Kurt said. Kitchen renovation , space for range to tight. Granite guys(2) came back. One with a grinding wheel, second guy holding the vacuum right behind the wheel. Virtually no mess.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
View attachment 222629
View attachment 222630
this is what looks like when the cutout is preformed in the kitchen without any vacuuming. Needless to say that install crew was fired for leaving that mess. The house wasn’t finished but had been cleaned before. Trust me when I say even $500 would be cheap considering the risks involved.
that's the mess I had to deal with after the crews left, took forever to fully clean up.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've installed granite floor tile several times but never cut a counter. One lesson I learned that might be applicable is that granite and presumably all natural stone products tend to crack when heated up enough. I tried cutting the granite floor tile with an abrasive blade in an angle grinder and cracked the tile. So I rented a wet saw for the subsequent cuts and had no issue. But that was floor tile which is only a little over 1/4 inch thick. Counter is much thicker.

When the granite was delivered for my current kitchen the hole for the cooktop was mostly cut but they left the material in the corners to help not crack the stone during shipment and installation. So they then had to finish the hole in my kitchen. One guy cut with an angle grinder and diamond wheel while another kept a shop vac hose close to the cutting blade. They had obvioiusly done this before. There was still a little dust for me to clean up but not bad.

Personally for the situation you describe the only issue for me is finding a good helper to man the shop vac. I would not want to just throw the dust all over but I also would not want the helper to interfere with my cut. I am not currently married but neither of my wives would have worked for this. I'd have to recruit one of the volunteers I work with at church and would be particular on which one. I would cut it slow and use a wet rag to help with dust but also help cool off the granite. I have cut floor tile many times with an angle grinder, however, so I am quite comfortable with that tool.

If I could get somebody to do it for $200 I'd probably pay it, however. If it was $400 I think I'd do it myself.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I was able to find someone for the job. Two guys, an angle grinder, a shop vac, done! They did a nice job taping everything off with plastic, minimal cleanup afterward. And a very reasonable price too. Glad I didn't try to mess with it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS