Early turnings

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I bought a lathe a little while back, and been making some pieces for practice. Mostly these have been tool handles and drawer pulls, but a few have been more interesting. These are some of my first attempts. The little bowl was a scrap of wormy maple left over from a different project, and a chance to practice with a bowl gouge and a new finishing technique.

The champagne flutes were inspired by a similar (but much more sophisticated!) project by @Phil S. I learned a little about end grain hollowing and consistency. Three of the four I made are the same shape and size…. the fourth one, not so much.

Next up: a segmented turning that I’ve been working on with @Charlie. Photos to come next month!

Attachments

• IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9521.jpeg
    IMG_9521.jpeg
    970.9 KB · Views: 62

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I bought a lathe a little while back, and been making some pieces for practice. Mostly these have been tool handles and drawer pulls, but a few have been more interesting. These are some of my first attempts. The little bowl was a scrap of wormy maple left over from a different project, and a chance to practice with a bowl gouge and a new finishing technique.

The champagne flutes were inspired by a similar (but much more sophisticated!) project by @Phil S. I learned a little about end grain hollowing and consistency. Three of the four I made are the same shape and size…. the fourth one, not so much.

Next up: a segmented turning that I’ve been working on with @Charlie. Photos to come next month!
Charlie is a great teacher. Enjoy the time learning from him.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors