Dust Collection Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I am trying to figure out where to put the dust collection system I am getting for Christmas. My shop is detached, 12' x 24' with 8' walls and wood siding. Here is a pic:

320624755_Q2RA3-X3.jpg

I built the lean-to to keep my car in during the winter and my truck in during the summer. Well, it has quickly turned into a wood & stuff storage spot. I am thinking about putting my dust collection system under this lean-to. But, I don't want the humidity to cause it to rust or not work correctly. I could enclose it in a closet-like structure. I also want to put my air compressor beside it to save space and noise. (1) What should I do? (2) Are there issues I am not considering?

(3) If the dust collection system is outside, will I have a problem with moving warm / cold conditioned air out of my shop? Where will the new air come from - through cracks in the building? I have it sealed up reasonably well to keep ants out and the heat in.

What other suggestions do you have?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
build a closet for those items out there and cut a return air hole to keep conditioned air in the shop. you can use standard air filters the same size as the ones in your house to make things easier. insulate the closet and the noise will be less but you will still get the noise because it will travel through the return air. It will be less though. if you dont close it in and provide for the ruturn air then yes it will suck the conditioned air out. [quickly depending on the DC]

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
You need a current pic. Thats not what it looks like now.:nah:

You mean my stack of 8/4 maple? Yeah, that caused the car to get the boot! But, it is coming in the house soon to hang out for a while before I start working on it. I gotta move all the rest of that junk out and put a load of gravel in there. If I had the ability, I'd put a concrete slab there.

Thanks for the info about the filter & return, Fred. I didn't think about that but it makes perfect sense now that you mentioned it!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Two things to consider with putting it outside even in a shed as Fred recommends (which I agree with).

First, you need a remote start for it.
Second, how are you going to know when it is full? Just saying "I will know" doesn't work. I overfill my cyclone with a 55 gallon drum way too often and it is in my shop.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I am getting the JET DC-1100, 1-1/2 HP 1,100 CFM Dust Collector w/ Remote and Bag Filter Kit. I saw how handy the remote was when I visited your shop, Jon. Travis, you make a good point about seeing when it is full. I guess I will have to learn how much time it takes to fill it up. I have been reading about the separator thing that fits on a trash can. Maybe I will hook up one of those that might help? I am not sure exactly how I will do it. I am in the process of tearing out all the old shelves and getting rid of a bunch of junk I have accumulated over the last 20 years. I have filled up two big trash cans and had a great fire going. I have managed to get my fishing stuff down to two big boxes of stuff to hang onto just in case. I posted an ad in Craig's list for the fishing rods. I intend to make someone a heck of a deal to get rid of them. The little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me that once I get all of this done, it will be time for a bigger shop!

708636rbk.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Two things to consider with putting it outside even in a shed as Fred recommends (which I agree with).

First, you need a remote start for it.
Second, how are you going to know when it is full? Just saying "I will know" doesn't work. I overfill my cyclone with a 55 gallon drum way too often and it is in my shop.

Travis, Travis, Travis- you need one of my high dust alarms!!!! :widea: There are some NCWW posts about it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Instead of buying one of those trash can things, build a Phil Thein Baffle. See my post in the workshops forum, "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." They say the proof is in the pudding, well the pictures show the proof. It definitely works.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
You know, I probably do. I will need to reengineer it a bit, but I think I do and I think I will.

Today was a great day to make chips... I could run the ClearVue and not worry about heat losses. Mid-afternoon, whilst merrily planing the cypress for the chairs, all heck broke loose. Lights were flashing and sirens were going off. The DC had shut down, all by herself. When I went to check, I found that the bin was nearly almost completely full up with chips and dust. Why, a few more moments with the planer and I would have had a heckuva mess to clean up.

But......

I have an AILW designed full-dust-bin sensor. And it worked well today.

So there. :gar-La; Don't put it off, put it on.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Today was a great day to make chips... I could run the ClearVue and not worry about heat losses. Mid-afternoon, whilst merrily planing the cypress for the chairs, all heck broke loose. Lights were flashing and sirens were going off. The DC had shut down, all by herself. When I went to check, I found that the bin was nearly almost completely full up with chips and dust. Why, a few more moments with the planer and I would have had a heckuva mess to clean up.

But......

I have an AILW designed full-dust-bin sensor. And it worked well today.

So there. :gar-La; Don't put it off, put it on.

Good on ya, mate!!! By the way, I don't think the Summit Lighting (non-delay) sensors are still available. My unit continues to work like a champ!

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Instead of buying one of those trash can things, build a Phil Thein Baffle. See my post in the workshops forum, "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." They say the proof is in the pudding, well the pictures show the proof. It definitely works.

So looking at Bruce's post;
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f81/another-vote-phil-theins-baffle-18181/

I see where Bruce had placed the separator a fair distance from his DC.
So is it safe to assume that a separator can be located anywhere in a DC system, as long as it is in between the DC and any tools in use?
I only ask because every example I have seen of a separator has always shown it right next to the DC.

If this is true, then maybe you could look at putting the separator in the shop, connecting through the wall to the DC outside. Then it would be much easier to check the fill level and empty it..

Just MTCW.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Michael, I think that Fred hit the nail on the head. The only thing that I would add is to install some baffles in the closet between the noise generators and the return air filters. This will help to keep the noise in the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS