Drying turning blanks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I recently bought some turning squares of Osage Orange and Tulipwood (2" x 2" x 12"). They are wax coated entirely. I checked their MC with my HF moisture meter :roll: and it read around 14%. I plan to cut them into pen blanks. My question is if I should leave the wax coating on them or scrape it off to allow them to dry to the point where I am comfortable making pens with it?
I am afraid that with the wax coating they won't do any more drying. Also if I do remove the wax, would it be better to cut them into over-sized blanks right away, to speed up the drying process or leave them as 2" square. Thanks in advance for the advice...this wood is just taunting me to be turned, but I don't want to make a pen out of wood that isn't dry enough for fear of it cracking later.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
I"d scrape off the wax ( but only cause I don't like it ) cut them a bit oversized, then nuke em in the microwave.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
JMHO, would cut into over sized pen blanks, and set aside for a few months. Depending upon wax build up may or may not scrap before or after sawing.

Just know wax by itself or on wood can be a real mess inside an un air conditioned shop this time of year.

I ain't one to talk and you ain't heard this from me! Know a man who uses his propane torch and furniture scrapper on hard to remove wax. Some times a wood chisel or puddy knife works well with propane torch too! Oh he scraps almost all wax off, before grabbing the torch.

If your emotions get the best of you and have to turn a pen. Just drill and glue your tubes and set aside for about a week.

I know about gaps at the center band from shrinking wood. So when in doubt will glue up wood and tubes and wait a week or two.

J

jeff...

Nuke em, paper plate, wax and all. Nuking dries from the out side in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS