Dovetail Chisel Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Blue Spruce has received some pretty high reviews, don't know about the other ones. I'll have to make due with what I have. Price is too far out of my range for a chisel. If I decide I need one, I'll probably look for a flea market buy and modify it to my needs.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I just use a bevel sided bench chisel. Didn't know there was a special "dovetail" chisel. Looks like its beveled to 20 degrees as are most paring chisels, but other than that, I don't see a difference.:confused_

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
They are purdy!!

I have heard nothing negative, and unfortunately have no insight in where to get any used or otherwise.

Trying to match something up with those Ashley Iles?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I just use a bevel sided bench chisel. Didn't know there was a special "dovetail" chisel. Looks like its beveled to 20 degrees as are most paring chisels, but other than that, I don't see a difference.:confused_

Go

The sides of my chisels are not exactly triangular from the bottom up. On DTs with narrow pins, the chisel mashes the sides when I clean up. I can use a 1/8 chisel but it takes forever. I like the look of narrow pins on shallow drawer stock.

This post on WN got me thinkin about it a while back. Look at the pics at the bottom of the page. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbth...mber=3637436&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

I have seen chisels that folks have modified using belt sander/whatever to shape a bevel edge similar to the Blue Spruce chisel. I am not going to do it myself though.

(and I want to buy a purdy tool that is also functional :gar-La;)

Chuck

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks, Chuck. Now I understand the difference and the reason. Dang!, Now I gotta add More tools to my want list.!! I do have left and right angled chisels that I have been using for the tight corners, but they don't work as well as I had hoped when I bought them, and they would not work in the narrow dovetails.

Thank you again. Here I went and lernt somethin' today and wasn't even tryin' to!!:mrgreen:

Go

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Gofor - I've seen your work posted here and talked to you personally about hand tools. I really appreciate your understated style of writing and talking but respect your knowledge and opinions. I have far more to learn from you than the other way around. :icon_thum BTW I would like to have a few of those skewed chisels some day. I bet they would work great on large pins.

Travis - The AIs are lonely. May be time to "Spruce" them up a bit, huh? :rotflm:

Chuck

striker

New User
Stephen
Chuck,

No expert here but I have/use Japanese Dovetail Chisels. They are typically higher on the rockwell scale and tend to be a little brittle but they hold an edge better- I like them. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Japanese or Blue Spruce ( A2 tool steel) chisels. Although the Blue Spruce are too pretty to wack with a hammer.

I had a hankerin for the Blue Spruce Fishtail chisel but I found a similar Two Cherries chisel at Tools for Working Wood (less money). These are good for cleaning out blind dovetails.

Let us what you decide to get - happy shopping!

Stephen

GeorgeM

New User
George
I just use my L-N bench chisels. They do a great job with out have to buy any special DT chisels.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors