Difficulty securing lever cap on Veritas DX60 block plane

Bruce Mack

Bruce
User
I like this plane for its feel in my hand. I don't love it because occasionally it gives a metallic ping and I find the lever cap has come loose. The cap does not have a secure stop. I push it down and forward with one hand while rotating the lever cap wheel. There is no apparent detent to keep the cap in place until the wheel locks it down, and no way of knowing the screw anchor is in place. Eventually the cap locks (most times) or the wheel spins and spins. What am I doing wrong?

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I like this plane for its feel in my hand. I don't love it because occasionally it gives a metallic ping and I find the lever cap has come loose. The cap does not have a secure stop. I push itl down and forward with one hand while rotating the lever cap wheel. There is no apparent detent to keep the cap in place until the wheel locks it down, and no way of knowing the screw anchor is in place. Eventually the cap locks (most times) or the wheel spins and spins. What am I doing wrong?
Bruce, bad news. Your plane is damaged and you should send it to me to avoid further frustration! :)

I don't have this plane but Lie-Nielsen block planes tighten against the flat blade. I am not much help without it in hand - and maybe not then

Where do you live? Maybe someone nearby can help?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a normal low-angle block plane, but the cap attachment is the same. It sounds like the cap screw isn't adjusted properly (my guess is driven in too far), which is preventing the cap from being installed correctly.

Make sure that the cap adjustment wheel is completely in the "loose" position.
Back out the cap screw so that the cap can slide as far forward as possible.
Tighten the screw until it stops the cap from getting back to that forward position.
Gradually back the screw out until it just allows the cap to slide back forward.
Tighten the cap adjustment wheel against the blade, and you should be good to go

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have a normal low-angle block plane, but the cap attachment is the same. It sounds like the cap screw isn't adjusted properly (my guess is driven in too far), which is preventing the cap from being installed correctly.

Tighten the screw until it stops the cap from getting back to that forward position.
Gradually back the screw out until it just allows the cap to slide back forward.
Tighten the cap adjustment wheel against the blade, and you should be good

Tighten the cap adjustment wheel against the blade, and you should be good to go
If I was going to make a guess, matt is on the right track

Bruce Mack

Bruce
User
Oops. I'm too dumb to own this plane. I had tried to adjust the cap screw but found it "frozen" in place and assumed it had been adjusted and Loctited at the factory. It took some effort with a stubby slot blade screwdriver to make it release. I found it was at the bottom of its possible travel. Having loosened it, I went to bed happy that I now have a way to adjust and enjoy this fine plane. Thank you, Matt and Jeff.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS