Dark streaks in black walnut after planing

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
hi all. I’m planing some black walnut. This is the first time I’ve worked with this wood. Im getting black streaks near the small knot holes. I have used a card scraper and 80 grit sandpaper to ‘erase’ these-without success. Any ideas on how to get rid of these - or prevent them in the first place? Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That's usually called a mineral streak. Water ran into the pith channel of that small limb after the limb was removed. Whatever was in the water stained the wood fibers surrounding the pith channel (knot hole). I'm afraid that it is part of the wood and cannot be removed. Sorry.

Bill E

Bill
User
The dark streaks in the walnut are probably caused by old rusty nail or mineral streaks in wood.Try bleaching the area with a small detailed brush.
Bill E

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone. I’ll. Try bleaching that small area before l finish it. It’s not that bad, so if it doesn’t work, I’ll not be upset.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The bottom part with the knots, looks like an Alien with a hangover.

Personally, I would leave that as is, it is part of the natural beauty of Walnut.

I once got an almost perfect image of an owl in the grain of a turned Walnut platter.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have never found walnut with no inclusions of any type. It often has those honeycomb sections. Epoxy mixed with sanding dust covers these very well. I actually seek out pieces that are rift or quarter sawn as the darker and lighter grain pattern looks better with finish and over time looks even better.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone. I’ll. Try bleaching that small area before l finish it. It’s not that bad, so if it doesn’t work, I’ll not be upset.
I think that it would be very difficult to contain the bleach to only the darkened area, and that the result could be more noticeable than if it were left alone.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
From time to time mineral streaks show up from the ambrosia beetle. If it isn't too bad, I'll go ahead and use the board. Below is an example. Its there, for sure, but it doesn't appear to be too distracting of a surface defect once the finish is applied.

Attachments

• 1   streak 4.jpg
    1 streak 4.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 70

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
From time to time mineral streaks show up from the ambrosia beetle. If it isn't too bad, I'll go ahead and use the board. Below is an example. Its there, for sure, but it doesn't appear to be too distracting of a surface defect once the finish is applied.
We have customers who pay lots of money for those Ambrosia streaks.
IMG_1473.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors