Combination Squares

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Are there any identifying marks on a PEC? I picked up the one in the picture years ago at a company auction. It had a Starett rule on it, but I was never sure what the head actually was.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.jpeg
    IMG_4327.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
To remove dings I use a jewelers triangle gouge and rifler file. Often the gouge is sufficient. If you are unaware of what a gouge is, it is essentially like a file without the file grooves, just smooth. But, the edge is crisp which allows the user to use it like a tiny scraper.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A cheap (or any) combo square can be fine adjusted by filing the little nibs the ruler runs on. Be careful - easy to overdo it. Start with a real cheap aluminum one for practice.
And a week later, you can test and re-file. Been there. Done that. A steel head is the critical part. Pay for a brand name if it makes you feel good about the tool. Yea, one can look at traditional quality tools with a fond eye. Pay for US made ( maybe, but not necessarily any more) if you wish.

FWIW, Cheap ones are usually zinc, not aluminum.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Ditto on PEC.

I have Starretts in my home shop but needed some reliable measuring devices for use in my volunteer work in a community-use shop where the assortment of abused combo squares, double squares and so forth are laughable. While most of the shop's users seem comfortable with what's hanging on the wall, I keep a locked tool box with my personal go-to tools. For that box I bought a 4-piece set of blemished 4R PEC tools including the machinist’s blade, square/miter head, protractor head and center head. If memory serves, the set was well under $100 a few years ago. I added a 4-inch double square to that purchase and can't recall how much that was, but I'm glad I bought it.

I can feel a difference in sliding and locking mechanisms between the PECs and my Staretts, but the PEC tools are a huge bang for the buck. Importantly, I trust their measurements and squareness.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
View attachment 226264
I never paid more than $75 and usually around $40-50.
Mike, admirable grouping! I immediately recognized the protractor at the top of the image. I long-ago stumbled on a vintage Starrett bevel vernier protractor set in a bundle at a farm estate sale. Averaging out the bundle, I think I have about $10 in a device that can measure far more accurately than I will ever need. However, it is nice to be able to know an angle with certainty.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, admirable grouping! I immediately recognized the protractor at the top of the image. I long-ago stumbled on a vintage Starrett bevel vernier protractor set in a bundle at a farm estate sale. Averaging out the bundle, I think I have about $10 in a device that can measure far more accurately than I will ever need. However, it is nice to be able to know an angle with certainty.
Took me 20 years to find that one. I paid $75 for it.

I need to do a new photo with all of my squares, have picked up a few more.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
How "precise" are you wanting this to be?
I'm anal and use an DIN 875/00 knife edge to setup my tools.

LengthAccuracy over entire length
200 mm 0.00015”
250 mm 0.00019”
300 mm 0.00019”

I have 3 PEC blems, of different lengths, and they are pretty good, but not 100% accurate\90 degrees. I'd need to confirm, but I think they would be closer to DIN 875/2 accuracy (.001" over entire length).
Some of the blades have very slight "waves"in them, or the end wasn't cut perfectly flat..

Overall, I accept what they are, but for 100% precision work.. I use a different method.

IMO... the PEC blem would still be pretty good for day-to-day, especially if you aren't 100% anal about precise accuracy, but not good enough for machine setup.

Give 1 a try and see if you like it. For the (blem) price, you really can't go wrong with the 4" or 6".

If you are wanting pictures of my 4", 6", & 12" PEC blems, compared to the DIN 875/00, DIN 875/0, or DIN 875/1, let me know, and I will try to post a few.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The PEC 6" is perfect for woodworking because it is plenty accurate and cheap enough that a damaging trip off the bench won't put you out that much for a replacement if need be.. That's the brand I use for woodworking although I have two Starretts and a Brown and Sharp for machine shop work. I've also got a cheapie empire in the wood turning area and have found that it is equally and annoyingly as accurate as my other squares.

My PEC has a screw-in scriber so there's less risk of losing it. My other squares have a friction fit scriber.

I just looked at what I thought was a PEC. It wasn't. It is an SPI. I guess the three letter brand had me confused.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
If you use the adjustable feature of the square and/or measure mostly, a quality one as mentioned and suggested here is the way to go. If you use it mainly as a try square or for marking a line, think about getting machinist square(s). They hold their accuracy, can be tweaked if out of square (i.e. oops, dropped it), and are easier to maneuver. They are also pretty cost effective. I picked up a set of 4 for $35 (2, 3, 4 and 6 inch) The small ones live in my shop apron and handle most tasks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS