CNC work - I want to make a Longworth chuck (for lathe) and have someone do the CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I am looking to make a Longworth chuck like the one in the link below

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/103/4604/RMWoodCo-Modern-Longworth-Chuck?term=longworth

I have tried with plywood, and it works OK, but not smoothly.

I am wondering whether anyone with a 16" CNC can quote me a price for milling the arcs in two plates. These are (will be?) 1/4" phenolic plates, and the two plates have identical arcs - can likely be milled simultaneously (what I did with a router, no idea what depth a CNC can do).

The link shows a 16" version at $200. I am hoping to keep my total cost less than this - else I may as well buy the one listed. I will have the hardware costs to also consider.

Initially I would prefer ballpark costs so that I can figure IF it makes sense to proceed with a precise quote/cost. The layout is a small centering hole and the 8 arcs, as well as the 16" diameter circle.

Is this too much layout work for a one off?
Any takers?

Thanks for considering

I prefer e-mail - contact hwynands3 at yahoo.com

Henry

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Are you providing the material?

Not sure how easily / nicely phenolic routes.

What size are the 8 arcs? Those would be the hardest thing (at least for me) to draw in the design software. The 16" circle and centering hole simple as can be to draw :)

With CNC best to route each separate, one after the other, and not to route one plate on top of the other plate.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
12 inch version from a CNC site I belong to.

Chuck image.JPG

ehpoole

Ethan
Are you providing the material?

Not sure how easily / nicely phenolic routes.

What size are the 8 arcs? Those would be the hardest thing (at least for me) to draw in the design software. The 16" circle and centering hole simple as can be to draw :)

With CNC best to route each separate, one after the other, and not to route one plate on top of the other plate.

Having routed phenolic before, it routes just fine if you take things a bit slower, but it is one of those materials that is very hard on cutters as it is often very abrasive. Also be aware that it can give off formaldehyde so you will want good ventilation during milling.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
not sure if is helpful here because I don't work with phenolic, but I use compression bits for routing melamine with much better bit life and cut quality than spiral or straight fluted bits.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
My apologies for not following up on my post. Variety of reasons - I just don't have a lot of time to devote right now is the reality.
I appreciate the links and responses. I will follow up with those who contacted me about fabrication, but it will be in January.

Henry

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Yes, I used 3/4" MDF, but 1/2" would be fine. I used a plunge router with a circle jig. Drill a center hole in each disc for alignment. Cut both discs at the same time and then reverse one. Plan on doing the routing outside on a nice day and wear a dust mask. Lol.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Charlie, is that what you used? I saw yours, did you make it? How did you mill the slots? I, and Sam, would like to make one. I'm thinking a router with a circle/radius jig. and are both discs identical? just one reversed?

I'm thinking of making this with my CNC out of MDF. If it works it'll be easy to knock em out. At least the DC will get 99% of the dust it makes, as long as I remember to turn it on! Forgot to a few days ago, man the MDF dust was horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors