Cleaning laser engraved items

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I assume you are talking about wood and for that I have been using a damp paper towel.
For powder coated aluminum I have read that LA's totally awesome cleaner {available at Dollar Tree} is a good choice.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've found it I turn the air off when engraving and turn it on full blast when cutting I don't get much soot. But when needed I use 320 sandpaper.

I've never tried the masking tape Mike suggested, I'm wondering how much more that would change the cutting parameters. But if you're painting its a great idea 👍

Fred J

Fred
User
Thanks for your suggestions. I completely forgot about the tape and oramask when I started the project.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I just read that white vinegar can be used to clean soot from the wood.
I am going to have to try that as well as the magic eraser.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I tried the magic eraser and it did not work for me. It left shredded eraser residue behind.
The white vinegar worked pretty well though.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
What do you use to clean the soot off laser engraved items?
Depends on what/how you are engraving ...
Pictures - shouldn't need any protection
Darker engraving - I use blue painters tape. No need to change power/speed settings. I keep 1", 2", 3" & 12" on hand.

Any decent laser should allow to set/change the air assist value.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
For wood I brush with a soft bristle brush and then blow off with my air hose. If there is any discoloration on the piece I may sand lightly with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper. Then shoot with a spray sealer of some sort.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS