cherry burl turned clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
this came from grizz's firewood pile. turned wet then dried and sprayed with rattle can laquer. the heart shaped clock came from woodcraft. this will be a wedding gift next month. it was a filler projeck while I was waitin on glue to dry!:gar-Bi
heartclock.JPG

J

jeff...

Dang Fred you finger must be doing a lot better, your kicking it again :thumbs_up

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Dang Fred you finger must be doing a lot better, your kicking it again :thumbs_up

yeh I was back in the shop the same day!:wsmile: been doing things a little slower though. it only hurts when I bump it!:icon_thum bout every 3 minnits!:gar-La;
seriously its almost healed over and dont bother me much so long as I dont beat it to death!:cool: finished up a few projects the last few weeks.

fred

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am dense. I don't understand what you bought (clock) and what you made. Is all of the white stuff part of the clock? How did you fit it into the round thingy?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am dense. I don't understand what you bought (clock) and what you made. Is all of the white stuff part of the clock? How did you fit it into the round thingy?

Travis most electronic clock works like Fred used have a round motor area in the back regardless of what actual shape the face is. All he had to do was drill the appropriate sized hole for the clock movement to fit into....after turning the burl into a almost sphere.
Does that make any more sense?

Dave:)

sawduster

New User
Robert
Go Fred !!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice work bro ...." filler project " he says, ....... sheeeeeesh ! :slap:

nice work man :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Travis most electronic clock works like Fred used have a round motor area in the back regardless of what actual shape the face is. All he had to do was drill the appropriate sized hole for the clock movement to fit into....after turning the burl into a almost sphere.
Does that make any more sense?

its even simpler than that!:gar-La; I drill a 1 3/8 hole in the square block, put it in the pin jaws on the chuck, turn it round and finish that side. thats the front. put the jacobs chuck in the tailstock and drill a 1 3/8 hole in it. then turn it around and mount it. turn the back and finish it. then I take it to the miter saw and cut it on one side at an angle. 10 - 15 degrees, whatever looks right. sand the flat spot then put it back in the jaws and put it back on the lathe to add one more coat of finish to the whole thing just to even it all out. slap the clock in and voila a clock!:gar-La; I've made a few of these. quick and easy! just like me!:rotflm:

oh and travis.... the white is just a reflection in the brass face of the clockworks. the pic was taken in a white photo booth.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
its even simpler than that!:gar-La; I drill a 1 3/8 hole in the square block, put it in the pin jaws on the chuck, turn it round and finish that side. thats the front. put the jacobs chuck in the tailstock and drill a 1 3/8 hole in it. then turn it around and mount it. turn the back and finish it. then I take it to the miter saw and cut it on one side at an angle. 10 - 15 degrees, whatever looks right. sand the flat spot then put it back in the jaws and put it back on the lathe to add one more coat of finish to the whole thing just to even it all out. slap the clock in and voila a clock!:gar-La; I've made a few of these. quick and easy! just like me!:rotflm:

oh and travis.... the white is just a reflection in the brass face of the clockworks. the pic was taken in a white photo booth.

What do you do about the 1 3/8" hole in the back of the sphere???? I followed you up to that point :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
What do you do about the 1 3/8" hole in the back of the sphere???? I followed you up to that point :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

after you do the face and turn it around cut the drilled hole out. make the blank thinner or design a back pattern. just get rid of the first hole:gar-Bi
kinda like this.

burl_clock_back.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS