Cheap ebay diamond stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamell

New User
Marty
Recently I purchased several of these inexpensive diamond tins.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131888284186
I can't really call them stones because the diamond coating is on a thin metal plate roughly the thickness of perhaps a scraping card.
What I like about them other than price is they measure 3x6 3/4, but they're thin and don't last as long as the much more expensive stones sold, but for the price they're tough to beat.
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to mount them on some type of thicker material using epoxy, perhaps plexiglass or similar material.
So far I've gotten pretty good results sharpening chisels and one planing iron, but as I mentioned they don't last long, but again, for the price I can afford to throw them away after X number of sharpenings..
Anyone else tried these yet and have decent results?
There are several different sellers, mostly from China. I bought mine from a vendor in California so he charged more. I placed another order from a Hong Kong vendor (much lower price) but haven't received the shipment yet. That was just last week.
Somehow I suspect it's not real diamond material, but it does sharpen ok.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have ordered LED lights from Hong Kong and the shipment took one month exactly to get here. My understanding is it sits in Customs forever before someone gets to inspect the incoming load and signs off on it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
It may be that these are diamond but not the premium ones that DMT and Trend use, something about mono-faceted versus multi-faceted (I'm no expert.) There also may be issues with them adhering to the substrate if they are wearing out that fast.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I tried some of the cheap diamond stones, and was not happy with them. Grit size was inconsistent; they were not "flat", the grit broke loose from the base metal, but the biggest problem was the base metal itself. It was cheap steel, and severely rusted if the stone was put up at all damp. So, make sure you dry them well before putting them back on the shelf.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS