Carving gouges

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Searching for carving gouges. Thought I'd try here before buying new. Took a class this weekend and was blown away by what could be done with a few gouges. The instructor came to my house and spent the day. Wow

Attachments

• 20221218_183125.jpg
    20221218_183125.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 111

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Searching for carving gouges. Thought I'd try here before buying new. Took a class this weekend and was blown away by what could be done with a few gouges. The instructor came to my house and spent the day. Wow
FWIW - I have this set of Flexcut gouges and it has served me well for quite a few years. They work great for small carvings like the one you pictured. The key is making handles so you don't have to mess around swapping gouges.

Attachments

• Carving Bench 1.png
    Carving Bench 1.png
    305.5 KB · Views: 71

Bill E

Bill
User
I am down sizing my tools.I have 16 carving tools make by Swiss and bought at Woodcraft that I would sell.In reasonable condition and sharp.In the box are three #. 1. Three #2; One #3. Three#5. One #25. Two #7. Two #8 Total 16. I would see as a set for $420

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
FWIW - I have this set of Flexcut gouges and it has served me well for quite a few years. They work great for small carvings like the one you pictured. The key is making handles so you don't have to mess around swapping gouges.
How do you make the handle slot for gouges

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
How do you make the handle slot for gouges
I just drilled a hole (I think 3/8") and slid the gouges in. I thought I'd have to fill them with epoxy or something but it turns out they stay put with no extra help. I've been using them for over 10 years and they are still in there tight. I also use a mallet on them and they hold up fine. Folks used to using traditional gouges usually don't like them but I like the Flex aspect. They just have a little different feel.

Attachments

• Flexcut 1.png
    Flexcut 1.png
    295.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Flexcut 2.png
    Flexcut 2.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 52

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I started with Pfeil and have stuck with them. Chippingaway.com has the best prices I’ve found.

I don’t think he has two or three of the same. Slight differences in sweeps or widths can make a difference. Basically, you buy as needed. I‘m sure it took Bill E several years to accumulate his set. There will be a lot you seldom use, but when you need it you have it.

I used to do a lot of carving, then moved away from it for a while, lately I’ve been back into it. I hesitate to buy new gouges b/c I know I’m not ever going to be a dedicated carver.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I started with Pfeil and have stuck with them. Chippingaway.com has the best prices I’ve found.

I don’t think he has two or three of the same. Slight differences in sweeps or widths can make a difference. Basically, you buy as needed. I‘m sure it took Bill E several years to accumulate his set. There will be a lot you seldom use, but when you need it you have it.

I used to do a lot of carving, then moved away from it for a while, lately I’ve been back into it. I hesitate to buy new gouges b/c I know I’m not ever going to be a dedicated carver.
Buy as I need may be the way to go. I have some gouges and would love to have bills set but my budget is only around 250 atm can. I'm not dedicated to anything I'm still kinda new trying it all but am trying it all . Being a trucker carving is something I can do in the truck. Thanks for all the advise guys

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Have you ever thought about chip carving? That's something you can do anywhere, no bench required, just a lap. :)

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Have you ever thought about chip carving? That's something you can do anywhere, no bench required, just a lap. :)
Actually have done some chip carving it's ok to decorate but love the wood spirits next class will be caricature

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Oh so you want to knife carve, then?

Mallet carving requires a bench and a way to clamp. I guess you could do that in a truck?

Some of the trucks I’ve seen are like campers.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Oh so you want to knife carve, then?

Mallet carving requires a bench and a way to clamp. I guess you could do that in a truck?

Some of the trucks I’ve seen are like campers.
Naw that's to much I had a class on wood spirits and I've done a few small caricatures. Have a ton of knives not so many gouges Bill is taking care of me

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors