Butt rest in gun cabinet

Hi,

I‘m wondering if anyone has a generic drawing or info for building a rest for each gun butt in a cabinet. I know they vary from gun to gun but a one size that would works most would be a great help. I like to have the shape of it be like the butt plate. Any suggestion appreciated.

Maine Guide

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Make replaceable inserts custom cut for the specific rifle/shotgun. When that gun is traded, toss the insert and make a new one. If you're replacing a .22 Anschutz free rifle with a Krieghoff drilling, then its a simple swap.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Pick out your biggest butt (all readers be careful where your mind wanders next). Stand up the gun and trace the butt onto a template. Add 1/8" all around the tracing. That's your template for the bottom gun rest. Get fancy and line each pocket with felt or heavy flannel.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I used some thick rubber peel for cushion on floor and 1/4” for notched holders for the butts. I wish I could remember where I got it.

IMG_1419.JPG

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice cabinet. Those buttplate slots look pretty universal.
I thought about anti-fatigue mats but they may be too thick.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My last gun cabinet I just made a removable plate that had openings traced off my guns. I made it removable in case I ever got a gun it didn't work for.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS